Elegant reds- seeking alternative to Burgundy

Is cost an issue here??
Is it a lighter wine you seek??

Some ideas:
cru Beaujolais…there are some great wines out there…Ch Thivin…Merlin…etc. Rarely over $30

Chianti Classico…not the Riservas…well-priced and delicious…so many to choose from

New wave Bardolino??

Au Bon Climat Santa Barbera Pinot Noir…$25 to $30

The less expensive Ca Pinots might be just the ticket.

Kutch was what immediately came to mind. Excellent quality, moderately priced, very much with the spirit of Burgundy (not meaning to say indistinguishable from Burgundy, just in that spirit) both in the chardonnay and pinot, no waiting list to get on.

If you want pinot noir, there really is no substitute for Burgundy. Read the work of William Kelley who will lead you to affordable Burgundies. Just like with every other wine region on planet earth, the consistency improves as you learn producers. Forget vineyards. Learn producers.

2 Likes

2016 Ramonet Clos de la Boudriotte for 99 at envoyer today; doesn’t get much better for what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Sandlands Trousseau should be right up your alley, especially with a few years of age on it.

In a lighter vein, I’ve had a lot of pleasure from Spanish wines from mencia (e.g., Ribeira Sacra appellation) and bobal (Manchuela).

Also, the currently available 2009 and 2010 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Rioja Reservas are fabulous, feminine reds – kind of Burgundian in color and structure, but with riper fruit and, of course, some American oak.

You might also try a Sancerre rouge, which is pinot. Lucien Crochet’s can be excellent.

I’m a big fan of the Charvin Cotes du Rhone, which is made in a red-fruited, fresh style – lots of flavor, but acidity, too, so it’s a bit atypical.

On the west side of Tuscany, Morellino di Scansano is tempranillo, but bears little resemblance to the wines of central Tuscany like Chianti and Brunello. MdSs are typically lighter and much fruitier. The basic Morisfarms is just delicious and is well under $20.

If you read Noah’s original post (quoted), you would see that he’s already found a number of other wines that fit the bill for him.

Burgundy is only irreplaceable if you feel that way.

1 Like

I’d also go look at some Xinomavros from the Naoussa region in Greece. Thymiopoulos for instance.

2015 Roagna Langhe Rosso

Stella Di Compalto, Le Ragnaie

Agree on LdH, too.

For me, in recent years, it’s Oregon. Doesn’t make me forget Burgundy…just a great “alternative” to see how pinot noir does…and Oregon is where it “does” great, too.

One of the best wines I had in 2021 was the Luciole 2018. https://www.luciole-vineyard.com/

great artwork, too…to look at.

For me, it shows the potential of Oregon “terroirs”…and the prices are more reasonable at this point.

Agree. White label I assume?

Surprising but I’m putting up cool climate cabernet francs that are not over-oaked. I think Chapoutier’s syrah in the Sizeranne bottling used to be, not sure if they still are, more delicate than Le Pavillion and thus are accessible now and down right delicious. Robert Panzer turned me onto Alsatian pinot noirs from Agathe Bursin that I think are elegant and priced right.

Yes, for both Ferrando and Produttori Carema, even though the meaning of white and black is flipped between the two.

I just picked up some Texier Pergaud St Julien en St Alban Vieille Serine which in past years has been quite elegant and dare I say Burgundian, but no idea how the '15 will show.

Not what you asked for, but look to Beaune from recent vintages for affordable, delicious wines that you don’t have to wait on for decades.

For me…

Beaujolais
Jura
Hungarian Reds - Their reds are mostly very light (maybe not by choice). Harder to find outside of Hungary though.
Some Pinots from other countries (US, NZ, AU, CH) although you have to be very selective…

Agree with all the Oregon Pinot noir recs. I recommend joining the fray 1/27/2023. Some of the best wines in all of BerserkerDay are Pinot Noirs from Oregon and California.

Also, look into some Beaujolais… many are like what the OP seems to be searching for. Some can be elegant and downright lovely. Also, many can be had for a song!

Sorry kevin. You beat me to Bojo! So I am seconding your rec!

Either really. Save yourself some coin with the white (and probably a little fresher as well).

Actually, I did have one that was fantastic: 2013 Vaeni Xinomavro Grande Réserve. It was exactly what I was looking for. I’ve had a few others since that were kind of clunky and not to my taste. My impression is that the light elegant style of Xinomavro is more the exception to the rule, kind of like how Grenache can be made in this style but is more commonly big, dark, extracted, and alcoholic. But please correct me if this is wrong.

Lasse,
This week, I had an outstanding older Nerello Mascalese. 2009 Tenuta Della Terre Nere Santa Spirito. I wish I’d bought more.
Cheers,
Warren

1 Like