Educate me on Flannery Beef

Linz can be purchased at retail here.

From NJ try these

http://www.lafrieda.com/PRIME_BEEF_s/1820.htm

CJ, this site I found and it seemed great. Free shipping to me. Have you tried this place?

CJ, this site I found and it seemed great. Free shipping to me. Have you tried this place?

I have not, but I believe M Pobega has had their steaks. Very tempted on the porterhouse.

Fo,
As others have said, “worth it” is very subjective. If a bottle of wine can be worth $300, I guess a great steak can be worth $90.

I have only had Flannery 4-5 times. For my purposes, I will say it is actually not worth it to me. Here in L.A., as I imagine would be the case in the NYC area there are plenty of really good sources for meat. Flannery might actually be as good (or slightly better) than most. To me there is a diminishing return on moving from the 96th to the 99th percentile as far as quality. I have zero doubt that Brian is a great guy, and I’d buy from if I lived locally. A chunk of the equation is shipping. In the end IIRC the price of a bone-in ribeye ends up 50-60% more than a locally sourced great steak.

One thing’s for sure though, it’s worth a try for yourself.

Shipping free via two day air in California. Or overnight is under $20 for over 10lbs. he doesnt charge tax. Just FYI

Also not too many places doing prime 30 day dry aged in la. When they do, it’s the same price as bryan

Living in Napa shipping is not a big problem. Agree with the superlatives, but not sure anyone has mentioned his pork chops? Ribbons of fat through-out and flavor like you remember years ago.

I used to be able to get dry aged stuff from one of LA’s best steakhouses until I lost my connection.

I actually don’t care about 30-45 day. 20 maybe 25 max. I know I’ve bought those from even Whole Foods and Bristol Farms. IMO Whole Foods is pretty darned good, and better than one might think. But convenience aside, I think you can get it at McCall’s, Owen’s Marconda, & Huntington. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but I think all are less $ than Flannery. Certainly the latter two.
But my #1 pick would be Harvey’s Guss over on Olympic just east of Fairfax. He’s an old-school butcher that sells to a lot of good restaurants. You have to call ahead. I don’t recall his max dry-aging but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has the 30 day you covet. I know he offers different aging times. It’s also definitely more reasonable than Flannery.

Have you been to Alexander’s Meats near you in San Gabriel? I’ve never been but have heard good things.

The Pat La Frieda steaks I had were awesome. The deal I was getting is either over or wrong to begin with–I was paying $17.99 a pound. At over $24.99 a pound, I am out. $65-$72 for two steaks is just a bit much.

Just go to Sunshine Market in St. Helena and get their Kurobuta pork chops - I think $8.99/lb. Slow, slow fire on the grill, salted, and then basted with honey and dijon mustard. One serves me and plenty for the cats - that is a big favorite for them!

I think that might have been where I met you Merrill. My wife and I were up on a trip with the Gelbs a few years back, and we ran into you at a local Market and then came over to your place later to tip a glass.

I used to be able to get dry aged stuff from one of LA’s best steakhouses until I lost my connection.

I actually don’t care about 30-45 day. 20 maybe 25 max. I know I’ve bought those from even Whole Foods and Bristol Farms. IMO Whole Foods is pretty darned good, and better than one might think. But convenience aside, I think you can get it at McCall’s, Owen’s Marconda, & Huntington. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but I think all are less $ than Flannery. Certainly the latter two.
But my #1 pick would be Harvey’s Guss over on Olympic just east of Fairfax. He’s an old-school butcher that sells to a lot of good restaurants. You have to call ahead. I don’t recall his max dry-aging but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has the 30 day you covet. I know he offers different aging times. It’s also definitely more reasonable than Flannery.

Have you been to Alexander’s Meats near you in San Gabriel? I’ve never been but have heard good things.[/quote][/quote]

Alexander is adequate. I’ve gone a few times as its only a few miles from me. No different than whole foods. It’s actually a little more expensive. Pricing for comparable flannery stuff isn’t that much less and the quality isn’t even close.

I actually like another butcher down the street from it that has almost Costco level pricing but higher quality. Just doesn’t do dry age. But very good for a casual steak.

I think that might have been where I met you Merrill. My wife and I were up on a trip with the Gelbs a few years back, and we ran into you at a local Market and then came over to your place later to tip a glass.[/quote][/quote]
As I get older my memory is not getting any bettter, what a surprise. But John it may just be a coincidence but I believe you were at my home with Marshall for a short time and we had a glass of wine probably together. We live at Silverado Country Club.

As I get older my memory is not getting any bettter, what a surprise. But John it may just be a coincidence but I believe you were at my home with Marshall for a short time and we had a glass of wine probably together. We live at Silverado Country Club.[/quote][/quote]

Yep that was me Lou, and I remember it. Though I think that was a different trip. We chatted about Plotnicki and your wife was prepping for one of her famous cassoulets.

Charlie, have you tried Harvey Guss? As I said, he’s the best recco. Then maybe McCalls (kind of pricey) or Marconda. Lindy & Grundy is a rip. I think one of the Farmer’s Market places, Huntington or Marconda has an Italian-style steak from a domestic cross of a Chaianina.
You would know better than I, but it seems these places are less expensive than Flannery. Fwiw, I to my tatse Harvey’s (or even McCall’s) prime aged stuff is so good that there just isn’t enough room above it on a quality scale to say it wouldn’t be “close”. Then again wtf do I know, on almost any day (considering price) I am totally happy with a prime steak from costco
What, for example, is his per pound cost for moderately dry-aged, corn-fed bone-in rib-eye or other cut? Isn’t it at least $40 per pound?
Btw, I’m not sending steaks 2-day shipping.

John. Very few of the places you’ve mentioned do CA beef. Almost all Midwest. If it’s Midwest flannery pricing is much much lower. He had 14oz rib eyes for $20. I really like his ca beef source.

Shipping is almost inconsequential with flannery in ca. Order five steaks and your shipping is only $15 for overnight. Comes straight to my office and I take it home. Ez

Have you been to Alexander’s Meats near you in San Gabriel? I’ve never been but have heard good things.[/quote][/quote]

The Farmer’s Market butchers, Huntington and Marconda, offer, for the most part, wet aged beef. The meat from Huntington is from Harris Ranch and is totally reasonable in both quality and cost, but not “special” by any means (but they do carry “wagyyu” NYs at ridiculous prices, which are rather good). Similarly, the beef at Marconda is better than average and also reasonably priced. They have started selling a 30 day dry aged product as well as some “wagyu” style NYs that are very good (and not that expensive). Both have begun to offer grass fed beef, but I do not think that either are selling quality product in this area.

The meat from McCall’s is 21-30 days dry aged certified angus beef that I believe is grass fed and then corn finished. It is very high in quality, a little cheaper than Flannery and dealing with Nate is always a pleasure. I also think their house made sausages and “trim” ground beef are also very good. If I didn’t have a connection at Rocker Bros. and Newport Prime, I would probably order briskets, ribs, butts, etc. from Nate as I am confident he would source the best “special” products.

I would agree that H-Gus is the best of those option (I would be happier if he didn’t keep ridiculous hours (5AM-noon, or something equally offensive) and you didn’t need to order 24 hours in advance). Gus’ steaks are usually dry aged 21-30 days but he will go longer if you commit to buying some amount of quantity. I find the steaks here to be the best mix of quality and cost and really like dealing with “the old man”.

There is also Lindy and Grundy on Fairfax (whole animal butchery with the costs and supply issues associated therewith) which I have never tried and a place called “A Cut Above” that is rumored to be opening in Santa Monica. I think that is pretty much the high-end butcher business in LA.

If the cow isn’t paying state taxes to help reduce our woes, I could care less what state it’s from. Flannery’s CA source might well be his best, but what says that in general (across all suppliers) Midwest is inferior? There’s a lot of great ranches even doing the Wagyu and Piedmont beef in the central US. Quite a few local butchers do Harris Prime, that’s Cali. But again, why does it matter? In a taste test, any advantage in one locale would bear itself out within the results.
So Flannery has dry-aged Midwest ribeye for $23 per pound? That’s not bad. It’s certainly a value compared to the $60/lb NY you put in your steak throwdown. I couldn’t find the post but didn’ t the Whole Foods win?

I don’t remember, it certainly wasn’t a favorite of mine. Regardless, I would take any voting in that tasting with a grain of salt for a wide variety of reasons mentioned in that thread.

Also I’d rather buy local beef ;p How’s that sound. [snort.gif]