Eating and Drinking in Paris

John,
Try calling Les Arlots around noon-3pm or around 7pm Paris time. They are closed Sun and Mon.

1 Like

Spending a week in Paris. Thanks to this thread, got reservations at Parcelles and Verjus. Tried booking Septime months in advance, no luck.

Arnaud Nicolas looks fantastic, on my hit list.

@Robert_Dentice and everyone else who had a chance to visit San Francisco’s State Bird Provisions - what’s the closest equivalent in ethos to that in Paris? I agree with Robert that it’s one of the best places to eat in US. Not looking for the same cuisine or ingredients but want the similar moral turpitude of going leftfield and somehow pulling off the seemingly impossible combinations of flavors.

1 Like

Les Enfants du Marche would be my answer.

1 Like

Good advice. I called several times around lunch but only got answering machine. I had better luck in evening time, and with time difference means calling in the afternoon our time - FYI … 5 hr time diff this week until their clocks leap forward Sat nite.

I’m taking my mom to Paris and Champagne in October — it will be her first time in France in over 15 years.

I’m excited to bring her to some of my favorites (Parcelles, Mokoloco, Juveniles, Climats if it’s reopened by then).

But, I’d love this threads help in selecting a special occasion restaurant for a dinner which coincides with my (now deceased) father’s birthday. I don’t usually prioritize the view when selecting restaurants, but I think a place with a lovely view would be perfect.

Tour d’Argent is a potential, but sounds like the cooking isn’t as great as it used to be. And I don’t want to eat in Eiffel. Any suggestions?

A lunch at Tour d Argent could be nice for this type of occasion.

Apparently the cooking at La Tour d’Argent is better now than it has been in a long time. This is based on previous references and the great experience we had there in September.

Other than visiting the Bar I have not been since they reopened. Prior to that it had definitely improved and the two course lunch special is nice because the bread and cheese are always very good so you only have two courses to figure out. The wine list and view more than than make up for it.

And thanks Robert for the good note on Sur Mer. It’s still definitely under consideration.

I ended up at Willi’s in November after a very traumatic 8 hour airport debacle, (honestly the worst experience in all of my extensive travel history), with my departure flight getting canceled.

My experience there greatly restored my faith in humanity and like you, I emptied a fair amount of Tempier. Everyone was so sweet and both my girlfriend and I enjoyed all the food and wine.

I bought one of their pins to commemorate the evening and smile every time I see it.

2 Likes

All the above is good. For bad meal or service, leave a few coins to make a point.

In France, waiting is a profession. Huge difference to North America.

One other slightly tangential thought about French food… beyond the obvious comments about high end or bistro food… is how good “tourist” food is compared to North America.

L’Oiseau Blanc has an incredible view and is a two star Michelin. We ate there last year and it was fabulous.

1 Like

Thanks so much to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I have a bunch of reservations made for my trip in a couple weeks that I’m excited about.

Looking at my list though, I realize it’s almost all French food. And of course that’s what I want and expect, but I am thinking we will want to mix in some variety. I remember a trip to Italy several years ago where it was nothing but Italian food for 2 weeks. We were SO excited to order Thai take out as soon as we got home.

I’m looking for more casual lunch spots - does anyone have any good recommendations for anything middle eastern, Asian, African… anything that will provide some interesting variety? Looking for something that maybe shows some familiar ethnic food through a different lens than we are used to in the United States?

This is not ethnic food, but you should try some Flammekuche at l’Alsacien (there are two of them, one near Hotel de Ville and the other near Republique). They are basically flat pizza-like but with creme, bacon/lardons and onions. Plus lots of other toppings. It is a casual break from heavy food. They also have nice alsacian wines and a really tasty green salad.

1 Like

Kubri for Lebanese is very casual and very good. https://www.kubri-restaurant.com

There are a bunch of good Ramen restaurants in Paris. All are casual. I like Kodawari, which has two shops. The right bank shop is fashioned after an old fish market. https://www.kodawari-ramen.com.

Brutos is South American. BRUTOS / restaurant / Paris

There are great burgers in Paris, too. My favorites include Mr. T, https://www.mrt-restaurant.fr, Goku Asian Canteen, GOKU Asian Canteen / Burgers Restaurant / Paris, the Butcher of Paris, https://thebutcherofparis.com

1 Like

Lots of love here over the years for Bon Georges, so I’m thinking of making it my traditional Bistrot target this trip. Any problem getting dinner reservations a week or two in advance?

We did L’Ami Jean last year which was not a great experience. (chef Jego was absent).

There are some very good Vietnamese restaurants in Paris (remember Vietnam was a French colony until 1954) and a great lunch choice. Try Pho Tai in the 13th, Entre 2 Rives in the 2nd, and Banoi in the 11th, which is simple but good and conveniently located by the Canal Saint-Martin for an after lunch stroll.

1 Like

Raviolis Chinois Nord-Est (on Rue St. Denis) is great. Very casual spot for Beijing-style dumplings.

3 Likes

My favorite Chinese places in Paris:

• La Taverne de Zhao, famous for its Biang Biang noodles, there now have several venues in Paris (the original one is near Canal Saint Martin, I also like the one rue Molière which is very convenient after a visit at the Louvre)

• In Belleville, Best Tofu for a good Chinese breakfast or small bites (try the baozi and sweet / savoury tofu soup) / Le Grand Bol for dinner (you must try the steamed pork pyramid and the black pepper beef)

• in the 13th district, near avenue and Porte de Choisy, try Tian Tian Wang and its spicy beef soup and charcoal-grilled mutton skewers. Then enjoy some takeaway sweets from Patisserie de Choisy which is nearby

If you want something upscale then go to Shang Palace at Shangri La hotel or Imperial Treasure.

On the Japanese side, try Kawamoto near Bastille, a small and low-key place run by a chef from Kyoto and his wife. Limited seating available so book in advance.

I also recommend Tsukizi in the 6th district for a casual sushi dinner. Again book in advance since it is a locals’ favorite.

More upscale and hard to book (you need to call at least 10 times to get someone on the phone) but very intimate and delicious: Aida in the 7th district, a few minutes walk from Le Bon Marché

Taking my wife through Paris on our way home, in June, for her birthday. It seems rather hard to get a booking at Septime — any tips or tricks anyone wish to share? Or if you have a recommendation for something equal — plus points if it has an extensive Vin Jaune list, as she loves that.