Earliest Drinking Grand Cru Red Burgundies?

The 09 red GCs I’ve had recently have been singing.

I know … [cheers.gif] … but on the other hand I can imagine several people here not hesitating …

Even if I would be allocated several cases LR, I couldn´t afford even one … [head-bang.gif]

In my comprehensive LR-tasting in 2012 we had the recently bottled 2010 and all vintages made by Louis-Michel down to 2002 …
the 2002 looked best by far, while 2010 was very impressive, but only giving half …
almost the same with 2005 … but 2009 was more open …

In another thread here the group tasted Arnoux Suchots 1999 and RSV 2002 … the former being the best drink, the latter still too young … (inexactly quoted)

Interesting to compare at same producer level:

• Grivot Echezeaux can/will drink earlier than Clos Vougeot (low level) who takes many years
  • Mugneret Gibourg Echezeaux will drink earlier than Clos Vougeot (high level) who takes many years

I am not sure this means that a wine drinking earlier will not last as long as the one drinking later. It may mean that bigger wines take longer to be opened for business.

In the long time before can be drunk I would put Corton, Clos Vougeot, Bonnes Mares, CDL Roche, Chambertin, Mazis

In the can be approached earlier I guess Echezeaux, CSD, Clos des Lambrays, Charmes, Griottes…

But there are exception and variation with producer, vintage, plot location

Love drinking young Grand Crus, Clos St Denis usually well behaved young. DRC Echezeaux and RSV drink really well young. Young Rousseau Ruchottes Chambertin too.

Chiu Lin:

You drink well…

I also love to test young Burgundy but try to limit myself to 1er crus given pricing/scarce availability… maybe I should try grand cru…,

Anecdote: Never had access to DRC wines unlike my wife whose late father was Aubert de Villaine’s Bank Manager in Moulins and got offered a Richebourg 1957 for her communion (religious ceremony for catholics)… … she kept the empty bottle… although A d V got her date of birth wrong (she was born in 1958…but was a year early at school)… not a bad experience for a circa 12 years old to get early training at fine wine… those were the times… she surely enjoys her wine these days…

Nah…I don’t go near any young DRC these days…but used to drink load of them in my previous life. LOL.