Durand - Where You Been All My Life?!?!

Broke down and bought one at K&L.
Tried it tonite on a 2001 Roty Gevrey.
Worked like a charm.

TTT

I just received mine and can’t wait to try it out tonight. My first three thoughts are: 1. This is a very expensive corkscrew 2. I wish the carrying case (cork box) was made to be carried to restaurants a little more easily in a pocket and 3. It seems that the magic is really the spiral helix and any ah so pronged device could work with the screw part, I wish I could have bought just that part.

Definitely a must-have for older corks. I am now using this for any bottle 2007 vintage and older and any more recent bottles where the cork is mushy when starting in with a waiter’s friend cork screw. Well worth the money as it has proven much more durable than any other cork screw I’ve owned.

Ok, I’m sold- it pulled a very sensitive cork out of a 1970 Ch. La Gaffeliere last night in one easy pull.

I bought one on BerserkerDay with my new wine check. I plan on using it for older bottles and burgs with the really long corks. In the past we have had really long corks break the bottom 1/4 of the cork and stay in the bottle sometimes. I think about more but hope the Durand solves this for us.

Glad to see so many good experiences with it.

We told ya :wink:

There’s a rumor that Robert Alfert has an engraved Durand. You guys should encourage him to post a picture!

I use mine for wines more that about 15 years old, or if I think there’s risk of a flaky cork. It’s great for Bordeaux with the long, soft corks.

My best restaurant experience was going to Bistro Jeanty in Yountville with a 1981 La Conseillante, thinking I should have brought it, and the server immediately brought their Durand out.

I always understand that royalty had everything engraved, but this one is a bit much . . .

A house guest got it for me, a lovely gesture, but I think he got it at an estate or consignment sale from some person that appears to have been a bird-watcher, like Richard Trimpi. I just eat birds and pate de foie gras.

Clearly you’re proud as a peacock.

RT