Dunnuck Top 100 2019

Jeb says:
The selection is based on a combination of overall quality, price, availability, and a little bit of Wow Factor, and was made by scrolling through over 10,400 reviews (which is a record number of reviews in 12 months for yours truly) and painstakingly cutting the list to these 100 wines

So an unavailable wine would not rank I guess.

That’s it’s exactly it. The ‘wow factor’. I remember Wine Spectator using something similar to explain how one with with the same score as another at a similar price point could be ranked higher. Think they call it the ‘X Factor’

29 wines a day on average over the course of every day in a year is a wow factor.

… so most wines are 2016 and 2017… he likes his wines alcoholic, young, fruity and tannic… Burgundy does not get much love… and I most probably won’t have any of these wines…
I would bet many of these wines are above 14.5 degrees of alcohol so these should not get the 25% duty…

I think it’s a very demanding job. Hats off to those who can do it and do it well, which definitely in my book includes Jeb. I really enjoy his work.

I can’t imagine trying to come up with a top 100 list. It’s very subjective, and offers great fodder for internet discussions like this one.

I don’t like these lists for precisely this reason… They aren’t about or for consumers. If anything, they actually have an adverse impact for consumers, in some cases causing prices to inflate and people to chase wines that have already sold through.

I think they are 2016s and 2017s because it’s a list of best wines released in 2019, and these were the red vintages released in 2019 by most producers.

All of their 91-point wines

Except those with the wow factor. Don’t forget that.

Or maybe for the bottom wines, there’s a WTF factor! That way you’d be able to have a 93 point wine be worse than a 90 point wine.

It is biochemically impossible to make the argument that putting 10,000 different wines in your mouth every year is good for your health [in any way, shape, manner or form].

But I suppose every professional wine critic has to confront that reality and decide for himself how he’s gonna deal with it.

JD looks to be in pretty good health! neener