Dunnuck: Downstream w/ JustinSmith

Take that Mr. Alfert! [worship.gif]

If you think about it, the Paso/Central Coast area has been a successful incubator for a number of successful Southern Rhonish luxury blends - Grenache, GSM, etc. Not sure what the push-back is as to Zin being included in this company.

Would the world be a better place without SQN, Alban, Saxum …

I have been Hacked! Or is that Hack-Smacked?!

the article sorta reads like an ad, to be honest.
im all for them charging whatever they think they can get.
with that being said, the forced set and magnum inclusion is not my cup of tea.

Absolutely agree!!

What Greg said.

It would be horrible/hilarious if there was a sudden surge in triple digit Zinfandel after all these years of sneers.

When you add up the cost of land in California, building costs, purchased fruit, consultants, equipment, packaging, insurance, marketing, etc. its easy to see why “new” wineries or projects come out the gate with $200+ bottlings. Owners are hedging their bets that they can produce a wine of great quality with profitable margins regardless of the varietal. Case in point Napa Valley Grenache for $250 a bottle. $175 a bottle Roussane blend in Ventura. Or in this case $200 Zin from Paso. When people are continually buying Cab/Merlot blends in Bordeaux or Chard and Pinot in Burgundy for $300-$3,500 a bottle, they need to realize they are part of the reason these “new kids” prices exist in the first place. Don’t hate the player, hate the game…

Or better yet, don’t play the game. There is a huge universe of excellent wine under $50. It takes a special wine, or moment, for me to pay over $100 for a bottle.

[cheers.gif]

He’s all excited about a $200 zin. Does the label even say Zinfandel?

I would be delighted if Zinfandel became the hot new thing that Instagram influencers were bringing to wine parties*. Maybe it’ll remove attention from some of the wines I like that are getting too expensive. Why only $200? Cambie and Saxum and Zinfandel? $400 at least!

+1,000 newhere

+1001

I understand that the new players have investments that need to be recouped, etc., and Zin is one grape that is under-appreciated by many people, perhaps because it’s so frequently been made into a big, jammy style. (Nothing like the wines Cambie makes, right?)

As to the Saxums and Albans and such - I don’t buy those either. They cost more than wines I prefer.

One of my Lodi growers can’t get rid of his old Zin for love or money. He’s begging me to take it off his hands for $700/ton. Literally 1hr away by car in Napa, the same damn Zin is $5K+/ton. Is Napa Zin 7-10 times better than Lodi Zin? It’s like terroir madness has descended on the collective mind of wine buyers. But then, all of a sudden, Teqan/Turley makes some nice old vine Zin from Lodi and - like magic! - we’re willing to pay $80 per bottle for it. Or $200 for Paso Robles Zin when Saxum is involved.

So “shitty” fruit from an uncool area can make great wine with the right winemaker, right? But then Napa/Sonoma tells us, byt the virtue of their fruit prices, that only the good fruit from their very specific region, with just the right conditions, with just the right soil, is what makes good wines. So what is it - terroir matters or winemaking? We need to make up our mind. The wine community seems very confused when it comes to this point.

When Saxum Paderewski came out, i thought that was ground breaking at $97 a bottle. It is good, but so are single vineyard Carlisle and Bedrock for half the price which is ¼ the price of Downstream.