Dumb Wine-Related Purchases

OK, where did you get that? I have a friend that so badly needs that. [snort.gif]

Actually, I have one that I use from time to time. Although the Champagne usually gets drained before the party is over, sometimes so much wine gets opened that there’s something left. Or someone shows up an hour or so after we’ve started and opens a Champagne. Plus, if I just want to open a nice bottle some evening by myself, I’ll have the stopper for the bottle to enjoy the following night. Most bottles of young-ish Champagne/sparkling wine are still pretty good on Night #2.

Bruce

Cork trivet kit I bought many, many years ago. I thought it was a cool use for corks and what better way to show my love and diversity of wine I have had over the years (for those special bottles). I’ve never had a glue gun, so it never got made.

It was a gift, this electric wine bottle chiller.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/63374-waring-pro-electric-wine-chiller.html

It isn’t attractive to look at. It’s noisy. It isn’t particularly fast at chilling a bottle. And you have to plug it in.

Is a bucket of ice water too low tech for people? Are you supposed to bring this on a picnic with a generator to provide electricity? Is everyone’s fridge just too crowded? I honestly can’t understand the reason for this product.

I have one of these and one other model, and actually have used them both. I will still chill in the fridge, but I like to use them to just keep a bit of a chill on Beaujolais and to keep whites and the right not too cold, not too warm temperature. I got mine as a gift too, the price is a little high, but to have a thermostat that keeps a particular temp is nice I think.

Electric wine opener… and a Rabbit Wine opener.

None of them work any better, easier etc than the Tumi Waiter corkcrew someone got me for my bday a couple years ago. Love that Tumi.

I got the same gift and have the same feeling. I actually have horrible anxiety about gifts, so fraught.

Do I re-gift it? Throw it away? Donate it? (to the myriad homeless wine aficionados) Open it and pretend to use it so my wife feels some emotion I’m not sure I really understand? Ultimately, it’ll just collect dust for my daughter to throw out when I die.

I was about to post the same thing!

champagne.gif

I bought a wine preservation system years ago that put gas into the bottle to replace the wine. It was a pain to use and I hardly ever used it.

By contrast, one of my smarter, expensive wine pieces of junk was a Durand corkscrew. Expensive, but it has saved an incredible number of bottles.

This. It was given to me as a warmer (it’s supposed to do both). It doesn’t work.

1 Like

Same here, received as a gift and I agree on all points. Noisy, slow, and there are much better methods of chilling a bottle quickly.

This; made my breasts look too big:

This was gifted to me. My reaction is, doesn’t ones mouth do the same thing?

Agree with all of this. Plus there is so much good grower or club Champagne at reasonable prices I might start having a glass or two alone at hone.

My eight year old son with my then wife’s help made this for me from my corks. The fact he did it was very special.

Love this iambic post. And empathize.

I tried one, not enough width to accommodate my needs.

Just wondering if you’ve ever spent time in prison.

Did you hit it from the rear or the front? Just askin? neener

someone once gave me a wine thermometer- to test the temperature of wine- ridiculous
the fact is it still in a draw in my kitchen is even more ridiculous.