Dryuary 2021

I plan to join as well, with a modified schedule that allows for 2 exceptions: weekends and weekdays.

Since 2020 is such a trainwreck, I decided to go dry in December. I figured, why start off a perfectly good year in 2021 without wine? When you had several doses of bad news for your parents, it was always best to drop all of it at once so they can only get mad once. Similarly, 2020 has been terrible, so why not end it without wine (or any other kind of alcohol)?

Eight days in, and it hasn’t been too bad.

A few years ago I took part in this foolishness - never again. I even gained weight. But the worst part was that I was on a business trip and we were out at dinner entertaining an executive from a bank that we wanted to work with. My sales guy (who knew I was doing a dry month) took one look at the wine list, smirked, looked at me and said, 'You are so much more knowledgeable about wine, why don’t you pick something out." So I go through the process, pick out a bottle, taste it when it comes back, and after the waiter had poured everyone else’s wine, I had to stop him from filling my glass. At that point my sales guy is just howling in laughter and I had to explain dry-January to everyone at the table. I do have to give my sales guy credit for being quick on his feet but what really irked me was only getting just the tiniest taste of a very nice bottle of wine. The club soda, even with a lime, didn’t quite pair as well with my steak.

My spouse and I did dry January this last year and it was a lot easier than I expected once I got out of the autopilot of opening a bottle of wine. For 2021 we decided against it because there are so many other things we aren’t able to do because of covid, we didn’t want to add to the list. But I expect we will do it again in the future. Good luck to you, and I hope you find it to be a good experience.

February is a great time to do it. More specifically, February 29, 30 and 31st.

The problem with this idea is - what on earth are you supposed to do on the holiday that is Friday 1st and the weekend that follows it? In my book those days still count as Christmas.

I’m up in the air about doing it. I’ve done dry January (actually extended to President’s Day Weekend) for the past 3 years. It’s a good way to kick start a bit of weight loss for me. Every year, the weight seems to be harder and harder to lose. Ten years ago, if I did dry January, I’d lose 15lbs just thinking about it. This past time, I lost 8lbs and worked out everyday. It felt like hand to hand combat over each pound.

This year seems so effed up, I’m not so sure that I’m looking to deprive myself of something else.

I did dry March/ April/ May this year thanks to radiation treatment and related subsequent loss of taste (thankfully temporary).
I think I’m ok to pass on this.

Ugh. You most definitely get a pass.

Having had a pretty good case of Covid a month ago and being forced to go dry for a month I will skip the honorable “dry January” or any “uary” in favor of a more moderated drinking regime. My goal is 2 days a week, probably Fri and Sat or Sat and Sun. I think a bottle a weekend is reasonable. It’s amazing the craving that occurs with wine. I had my 1st taste, one glass last Friday (28 days after 1st Covid symptom) and I’ve wanted wine every night right around 5pm. But I’ve skipped it in favor of strengthening my body from the still lingering effects of Covid.

I think “Octeetotalber” sounds better.

I disagree. January is the better time to do it. January 2028, 2029 and 2030.

F T S

[rofl.gif] I’m riding that train, too. I’ll be in the NFW car.

Now THAT is my style. Ginuary. Love it.

Word.