Dry high acid white recommendations?

Many good choices from the finger lakes - dry rieslings are generally ripping with acidity, and you can find other whites like Chardonnay or Gruner as well.

anthonyshideler wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am
+1 Hatzidakis Assyrtiko and I would also look to Portugal. Niepoort’s Redoma Branco can be found under $25 and the 2018 is particularly strong, and if you really want something special, seek out his Bairrada project and try the 2015 Quinta do Baixo Branco Vinhas Velhas. This wine comes from 80+ year old vines, is made is big 1000L old used foudres, is intensely dry at just 11.5% alcohol, and naturally achieves incredibly high acidity with a pH under 3.0. It’s an incredible wine.
As a Portuguese, and before I read your post, my first thoughts were Alvarinho from Soalheiro and the Arinto wines from Bucelas (a denomination which, like Chablis, only allows for whites). Great to see Niepoort get attention, though. It helps that Dirk is by far the most export savvy of Portuguese wine producers. Others who are every bit his equal need to step up the game.

Agree with the above. After visiting Quinta do Baixo a couple of years ago, they make some very compelling wines!

Most Australian Riesling, particularly from the Clare or Eden Valleys, or Great Southern in Western Australia tend to be very dry and high acid. Also Hunter Valley Semillon. The acid can be searing in that when young so might be a bit much.

I want to second the Vinho Verde recommendation, such a great summer wine

Yup. And tis the season, too!

Yup x 2.

If I may pile on to earlier suggestions, Pepiere’s Clos de Briords would be a nice initiation.

Tinah
Albarino could scratch your itch
I popped a Crawford Family yesterday and it had a nice brazen acidity to it

Currently a 6 pack special @ $20 per

Many good suggestions above. +1 on Assyrtiko. (Try Sigalas with some bottle age )

Chablis yes but be careful on vintage. 2014 perfect for what you want, 2015 a lot of the wines are on the softer broader easy side for Chablis)

Also - Verdejo eg from Rioja. Excellent summer sipper.

[cheers.gif]

Always a good vote when its a vote for GG riesling.

this week I opened my first bottle from a Central coast producer called Lady of the Sunshine and the wife and I have really been enjoying it. She currently has a suave Blanc (have not opened yet) and the one we’ve been drinking is a 60% Sauv Blanc, 40% Chardonnay blend. I’m not typically a huge suave blanc fan but the blend really strikes a nice balance. they’re both below 13%, both low sulfur, high acid, and both under $30.

it might not be in the same category as the Donnhoff GG Hermannshohle from last week (definitely recc for a dry high acid white btw) but its super drinkable for $27

I have only had two vintages but one wasn’t very acidic, the other had acid in spades. Not sure which one was the outlier.