Dropping off wine lists and it feels........good!!

Never did that before

I would love to get off of a few lists but I can’t find these wines locally. Ok, once in a while I can but not usually.

Being on a mailing list does not mean you buy every wine every release or any wine any release. It only means you get mailers.

Then I misunderstood. That make sense.

But I thought the idea was that you were supposed to buy regularly or you got kicked off the list. How do people get kicked off then?

If it’s done the way you describe, it’s just like receiving email from the car dealer who assumed that because you once bought a car from him, rather than having satisfied your need for transportation, you revealed an insatiable urge to purchase vehicles of all types. So you send it to your spam box.

So just find locally available wines that you like. I’ve not encountered a single list that is utterly indispensable. So much good wine out there.

Depends on the list. If the wines are in high demand and there is a waiting list to get on “the list”, they may drop you if you don’t buy everything. Or possibly reduce your allocation.

If there isn’t a waiting list to get offers, you can buy what you want, or nothing at all, and still probably get future offers.

I haven’t purchased from Quilceda Creek for at least two years and I’m still getting their emails. I don’t think I’ve ever actually bothered unsubscribing, I just stop buying and call it “dropping.” For the ones I do buy from, I usually buy every time (or, at least once a year — some like Aubert have a release I buy from and one I don’t). I almost never purchase the entire allocation unless it’s really small, though. We don’t go through enough wine to justify it. I prefer breadth over depth.

Sometimes we post in these “list level” topics like there is some virtue in culling, increasing, or maintaining our lists. I am one of many who have signed up for many based on write ups or TNs found here on WB. It took me a while to get back to the idea that I am not obligated to buy, just because I am on a list. Now that I am comfortable asking for help in my wine store, I plan to spend nothing on any lists this year and buy directly from brick and mortars. Nothing against any the wineries I have been following, but as an earlier poster suggested, I need to open up to other interesting wine.

The only mialing list that ever dropped me for missing a release was Saxum. There is one winery mailer I get religiously, and have for probably 8 years or more, where I have never purchased. One day it just might fall at the right time. If people feel like it is too much effort on their part to send me an automated email they can do what they wish.

As for people who post in release threads:
They are the most rabid customers of the brand.
They always buy.
Some lie about how much they buy.

The ones that don’t buy all the time don’t post when they don’t buy. At least most don’t, so it looks like they are all all-in all the time. Even when they aren’t.

As for people who post in release threads:
They are the most rabid customers of the brand.
They always buy.
Some lie about how much they buy.

The ones that don’t buy all the time don’t post when they don’t buy. At least most don’t, so it looks like they are all all-in all the time. Even when they aren’t.

[rofl.gif]

I’m on a mailing list then!

I get emails from a winery I’ve never purchased from.

Makes me feel like part of an exclusive club now. Quite special.

Noooooo! Say it ain’t so! You mean some, upstanding Berserkers mind you, actually (gasp)…LIE???

I thought with all the lawyers, doctors, and other ‘professionals’ here abouts, there would be ethical standards of accountability?

So in other words, it’s all bul;lshit?

Thought so.

Well, there are few exclusive wineries that I am “cutting down to ‘only’ four cases this year.”

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

We should start a new thread: “What was your most recent lie about a wine purchase?”

There are multiple wineries where I have not bought anything in 5-10 years. I still get offers.

Dropping lists or skipping a release is almost never about the winery for me. It’s about funds and cellar space, as well as issues of cellar balance. Right now I have an over abundance of California Pinot Noir. So I am skipping wineries or at least skipping the Pinot-based wines in favor of Syrah or some other grape where I do not have so much. Ultimately my mailer purchases will drop by about 50%, either through skipping, or reducing quantities.

How true. And if you’ve been buying from lists for a while, balance can easily get out of balance, especially from wineries that do 2 lists a year.
You might like a winery’s wines, but maybe not have cases of it piling up in your cellar.

And there are some that do 3 and even 4 offers.

Clubs are also dangerous. I get 12 bottles per year from 3 clubs. Problem is, I drink way less than that. Things pile up.

So in other words, it’s all bul;lshit?

Nope. Just the lies are.

Dumb question but isn’t a list the same as a club?

No. Clubs send you what they want, Tercero being an exception. Lists, you pick what to buy.

To elaborate, lists send a list of wines you’ve been allocated (and the rest that you haven’t, usually). Make your selections and check out. A club sends you X bottles every Y months.

What is the release price on Hundred Acre?