Dropping off wine lists and it feels........good!!

I dropped Lillian a few years ago, only bought one year Antica Terra, been just buying a club case of WillaKenzie for ever and just got on No Girls and then Cayuse so will buy a few years just because. [wow.gif]

Yes. Expanding my palate is a big
Goal
Yes!! More quality, less bottles! Struggling to drink the bottles I have now!!

I have dropped some entirely over the years, but mostly I just make smaller and smaller orders from each.

KB, Sojourn, Alban, Daou, Seven Stones, Justin, Ridge, Stone the Crows, Bedrock, Abreu, Carlisle, Ancillary, Myriad, Jaffurs, Ojai, Montelena, AO.

WS, Epoch, Marcassin, Rhys, Rivers-Marie, VHR, Tensley, Cirq, QC, Piper, Schrader, Blankiet, EMH, Corison,

Law, Aubert, Corra

SE, Saxum, SQN, Cayuse, Macdonald, Andremily

That’s just an astonishing number of lists.

This group of people on WB was definitely enablers :slight_smile: I realized I had to start getting off of them even if I was buying very small amounts at a time. Most of the lists I am staying on do allow for one bottle purchases so that helps

I got dropped off Rougeard! [smileyvault-ban.gif]

After years of buying . . . .

I’m on one list only: Bedrock. They have a model that works for me plus I think Morgan is doing a wonderful thing with heritage field blends. I’m not a huge buyer as I just don’t drink a ton of Zin or Cali syrah, but even skipping some releases and ordering small case lots here and there, I still get fair allocations to most bottles. I’ve been on the list since the first year, and I think it may have been you, Alan, that got me to try it.

Seems like just about every wine I’ve read above is available off-list anyway.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had exactly this experience about 10 years ago. Quit about 20 lists. Sad at first, then liberating. SQN and Screagle were the only two hangers on, and I dropped them last year. I was accumulating SQN faster than I could drink it and the sell one, keep two routine to justify the Screagle purchases was getting old.

I haven’t dropped off any lists (am/was on about 7 or so-all CA) but I didn’t buy anything in the fall nor so far this year. And I do not plan on buying anything this spring . May buy if finances change-highly doubtful in the near future and college looms in the fall for my oldest .

I will not drop off any list , but if I get booted off, so be it.

On waitlist for SQN and SE-will decide to what to do if ever make it to the top.

Being booted-off might be answers to prayers. [highfive.gif]

The thing you have to internalize is that you can really, really like a wine and yet not have to be on their list.

And most of them you can acquire-at a premium perhaps .

Joe, I’ve voluntarily dropped most of those on your “still waiting” list, no regrets. There’s an ocean of great wine out there. No need to limit oneself.

Another thing I’ve found is that, when I need to skip offers on lists, if I just write and ask if I can skip and stay on the list, they almost always are fine with it.

Not the same thing as dropping them, but just another option for if people to consider.

Most lists give you two or three cycles (sometimes more) of not ordering before dropping you. If I genuinely like the wines, I will buy at least some every year or two. In other words, if I’ve gone 3 offer cycles without ordering any, I probably don’t need to be on the list anyway.

This is what I’ve been doing for a while. I also buy minimum amount, 3-6 bottles. If they drop me after missing a couple- oh well. After 3 cycles sounds like a good time to move on.

Have dropped off several lists the past two years (Nickel and Nickel, SLWC, Joseph Phelps) as my tastes have moved a bit “upmarket”. That’s the good part.

The bad part- I have added many multiples more (Kata, Maybach, Rivers Marie, Realm, Myriad, Futo, Fait Main, Memento Mori, Nine Suns, Sinegal, Odette, MacDonald, and Dakota Shy).

I’ve amassed a nice collection, but my AMEX continues to hate me…

I dropped Maison Ilan.

That’s funny, I have a friend with the same name who seems to drink nothing but old-world wine!

I have doped off several lists but even better there is a group of four friends that share allocations. That allows more reasonable purchase amounts while still staying on the list and retaining allocations. So far the strategy has worked out very well.

Is he really a friend then if he never shared/drank his Scarecrow and SQN with you, what a bastard neener