Driving beer cross country this weekend. Please help

[rofl.gif]

A large Yeti cooler could come in handy here. Some pricey moving expense materials that have more everyday utility versus traditional moving or wine boxes.

I think your plan will work. But you could also get a couple of large coolers, Costco or restaurant supply stores($80-90 each), get the wine to cellar temp. Place the wine and some cold packs or ice with insulation to keep it off the bottles in the coolers. The temp will be good and you won’t have to carry it back and forth.

As others have said, these wines made their way to him without refrigeration, and presumably are still fine. Driving during the day with the wines in the back seat - even if in just lay-flat boxes instead of styrofoam - wines will be fine.

Beer?

Lol, can believe it took 16 posts to get here! The man needs a Camaro, Semi and a Hottie.

Temps further out west are going to creep into low 80s. My plan is to have my wine in 4 u-line styrofoam shippers and have in either 2 tubs or a kiddie pool. I will have bags of ice in garbage bags that I can dump when they melt and also freezer packs. Shoppers will be covered in an insulated blanket. After reading all of these comments I’m hoping this should be fine.

High in Vegas yesterday was 67, a record low high temp…and it looks about like this for almost the next week.

And by the way…it was a Firebird!

For a thousand dollars I could have standard overnight shipped this wine, and for another 2 hundred made it priority overnight so that it’d get there before noon.

I have been told by a local, certified Central Florida redneck - who drinks fine Burgundies by the way - that it was a Trans-Am.

Mike, you’re fretting about this too much. If it’s comfortable for you inside the car while driving, it’s fine for the wine. Just put it on your back seat (or behind the front seats on the floor if there’s room), maintain a reasonable temp inside the car as you would for yourself, park in the shade when you have to stop, bring it in the hotel overnight, and stop worrying. It will be just fine in the 70s for a couple of days. Think about how long almost every bottle sits on a retailer’s shelf at 70 degrees (if you’re lucky), or at that temp and higher on loading docks, shipping containers, etc. Wine is much sturdier than that, especially the wines you’ve listed.

I spent a week in cali wine country a couple about 9 years ago. Went to a winery (very large and well known) on day 1 and they had a huge lot of wine ready to be loaded on to trucks (already boxed, on pallets and were plastic wrapped on the pallets) sitiing outside next to a building in the sun Passed by on day 4 and the same wine (took a picture each day and same amount of pallets/same spacing, etc) was still sitting outside in the sun.
I am in blind tasting club with a bunch of guys 20-40 years older than me. Most had no wine cellar most of their lives to speak off but they all had massive amount of wines. Kept in less than ideal conditions (ie near windows/HVAC vents/kept bottles upright/etc). Never a cooked bottle from them.

You will be fine, enjoy the ride and do not stress.

Can’t be a redneck and drink Burg cheesehead undy, goes against the definition.

Perhaps he will chime in…

Don’t know no rednecks down here… but the car was a Trans-Am Firebird. License plate: BAN ONE

1977 Trans-Am (although most of the Bandit cars used in the movie were the '76 model with some body modifications).

My dad owned a '73 Trans-Am, and he was definitely not a redneck.

Legally?