Dream 5 Wine Allocations!

None of my dream allocations have anything to do with California Cabernet. The thread title had me expecting something a lot more broad.

I would say the title left it open to broader than CA - what say you Doug?

I would love winery direct allocations of:

Keller
Coche-Dury
Leroy/D’Auvenay

The other 2 are tough to nail down. I guess those are my dream 3, with several other contenders.

Thinking about it a little more, Rousseau is probably also on the list.

What I’m saying is there are very good prices to be found for those producers outside of the US that are not direct allocation.

No real wait list at Harlan any more I don’t think. A local signed up last year and received an allocation almost immediately.

I know I can fly there, buy it, and bring it home but is there a better way? Would love to know how to get ex-cellar pricing from where I sit.

Even if I do purchase locally, is access / pricing ex-cellar?

Flying there is not the answer. They won’t let you in the door.

Are you talking pandemic or generally?

I think it would be wonderful to have the ability to buy directly from these & many more…but these are the top 5.

Keller
Coche Dury
Henri Jouan
Pierre Peters
Roagna

Generally

You know what’s interesting is whats ur dream allocation if u can’t flip. (Assume somehow that’s controllable).

That doesn’t make sense. You can fly to France and buy in shop. They let you into the shops. The domaines are different, but in my experience has been possible for a couple on list to go. Agree you don’t just walk in there. This furthers my point of why allocation is necessary.

My answer is no flip. I only buy wine to drink.

I find this reply really cryptic when it doesn’t have to be. I read this thread as “desired allocations so you don’ have to pay huge markup.” I mentioned producers who trade at large mark up (at least they do in the USA). This reply makes it sound like there is an accessible way to get pricing at a level where allocation isn’t necessary. Is this common knowledge I just don’t have? I don’t understand.

After years of being extremely cheap, Jouan is actually rather expensive now ex-Domaine.

Interesting as its odd to me someone would dream about being allocated a wine just so they could flip it. I dream about wines I can drink and share with friends not flip

Agree.
I just see a lot of screagle being mentioned. Do people really dream about being allocated 1200 dollar wine? :joy:

Realm - Love the wines. Make several cabs. Great price ranges and value. Excellent story.
MacDonald - Love the one wine they make. Story is excellent. Great caretakers of their property. Love the fight with Constellation.
Shafer - Two cabs, one lower and one upper price point. Both excellent. Love the story and their involvement.
Riverain - Excellent wine, have not poped a reserve yet. Great winemaker and good story.
Becklyn - Phenomenal QPR and love these wines. Really good story, seems to care.

You can keep Screaming Eagle, Harlan, Bryant and anything else that costs in excess of $500 if it can’t be flipped upon release.

Yup it’s silly. They dream of flipping it for a profit not drinking it. I like the lists people post of wines they actually will drink like the one above by Joe. Even better it’s not the same winemaker on multiple wines. Good list