DRC ‘treasures’ from Drouhin’s cellar to be auctioned

Anyone else wondering if the small holes on the top of the wax capsule as per the description were caused by a Corovin…

No.

I agree about the values of these lots exploding beyond even what us wine nerds are anticipating.

I’m curious, why this part of the label in English: “Produce of France”?

Ray- I think 4-5x is more likely for the DRC lots

I’m confused–the domaine frowns on us selling their wines at auction and will drop one’s allocations when discovered. But Mssr Drouhin arouses no ire in so doing?

Guess he’s losing his allocation :frowning:

I thought I read it was only for a certain amount of time that it was agreed not to sell?

Damn flippers

I am actually going to be in NYC that weekend. Very tempted to go to the sale and observe.

Let’s see what happens, but I am willing to bet the 1945 Romanee-Conti bottles go for at least $150K each before premium.

fills on 49s and 59s are great, some fills terrible in some vintages.

Time to start a thread for who most closely guesses the hammer on those 2 btls of ’45 DRC RC? Would be fun if Warren Buffet offered a $1mil to the person who comes the closest to correctly guessing the selling price for all the 1938 RC mags :relaxed:

If I were Bill Koch, I’d send my rep to the sale and do a ‘Rudy’, hold up the paddle and wait to win! Any billionaire, given how short life is, could drop a few mil on this sale like it’s just spare change. Look at the insane prices in the art world, one Picasso can sell for more than the total that will be realized in this sale. Would Sotheby’s allow a single buyer for this entire sale? Wondering if a ‘consortium’/Chinese mutual fund, group of wealthy wine people; could decide as an investment to buy the entire sale, also? Doris Duke sale had 2x the lots, with case quantities of ’29 Gaudicots & 34 DRC RC…so which is the best vintage of RC in the 30’s?

Kinda disappointed in all the attorney’s on this site who don’t ask the obvious question, in that the reason for this sale is not well explained…least to my POV. Drouhin must be thinking of his mortality, wonder if Leflaive’s death entered into his thinking? All of these lots, could easily be consumed by the Drouhin family in just a few years, even drinking many others.

I really hate the Sotheby’s/Christie’s/old school photographing/presentation catalog mentality. Would have preferred pictures of every single bottle be posted online without the ‘artsy’ crap like all the others Acker & so on, and not crappy excessively bright as done on Spectrum’s listings…but 360 degree view in HD is the only way to go on these. The way Sotheby’s has listed some details, it’s almost as though they were copying Acker in stating a 1.5L btl of 1978 Jayer Richebourg with only description of ullage as “ts” (top shoulder on a Burgundy bottle, wtf?)…with no picture of course- on an est of $40-50k<get real.

So many ‘discrepancies’…don’t want to hijack this thread, seems ‘the big Rudy’ would be better to discuss so many of these…issues? I know in that thread Mr Cornwell, as indicated by Douglas E. Barzelay; there were at the time, two auction houses of good repute: Sotheby’s and Hart Davis Hart. Earlier this year, emails I sent to Sotheby’s HK greatly concerned me about their supposed stellar reputation, based on the replies I received from them. Seems odd to me that this sale is happening in New York and not Hong Kong.

Really would have liked Sotheby’s to offer all of these lots to winning bidders, for pickup @Domaine Drouhin, and arrange how they’d like to have the wines shipped, rather than risk shipping them however Sotheby’s does it, to New York or else where…just too much risk, IMHO.

Is a bottled at Drouhin DRC, of equal level of provenance as the single bottle of '45 DRC RC that was sold in Christie’s 2007/2011 Geneva sales, that came directly from DRC, undisturbed (presumably) since bottling? Vandermeulen bottlings of RC don’t come close to getting same prices at auction…for good reason.

Think its magnums of 37, not 38. Wouldn’t be surprised for the 45 RC to go for 250,000 per and the La Tache’s @150,000 each.Would be nice if they started having photos of all wines being sold - instead of requiring inspection. Both 34 and 37 were great.Not sure why they’re selling,but I know they used to serve them 20 yrs ago. Could be they’re just too variable/valuable now.Who wants to open a $10,000 or more bottle and find out its bad.

I’d think the run up in good provenance aged DRC pricing is more than sufficient to explain the sale. The Drouhins aren’t billionaires and that’s largely who is paying those prices.

:slight_smile: Swap in kind. Don’t you know the old saying? When the Moose is loose, the RC comes free.

Always curious how big of variation there is in these passive cellars among the same lots . I also have to laugh at how the photographer here tries to use some angle tricks to make us believe the fills aren’t as long as they are on some of the bottles in the set.

Before reading the post of Sara I was thinking of the RC45.
There is so much money in the world that someone could pay more that 1 million because it would not hurt his fortune.

There was recently a sale of the private cellar of Henri Jayer family and from what I remember, around 1,000 bottles brought 36 million euros which was 6 time the estimation.

We can imagine that the result of this sale will be out of any norm.

What will happen to those bottles when they will be bought ?

I have just read that the Moueix family sold 20% of Pétrus for 200 million euros, making the value for 100 % at 1 billion. It shows that the wine sector is now a subject of speculation.

How much of this wine will ever be consumed vs. some schmuck buying it and continuing to hold it as an ‘investment’? If you have the money to buy it, you clearly have enough to say the heck with it and drink it and not loose sleep over it.

Why wouldn’t a wine fund just buy the whole lot and hold it “hostage” until a new billionaire decides they like wine?