Down to Earth Wine/Robert Panzer?

I’m confused. Is there some emergency that is causing you to need to order wine immediately? What am I missing in this story?

Nope. Idly curious tis all. I bought wine here and there from Robert over two or three years and about a year ago suddenly stopped receiving emails. Over the last nine months I sent three emails evenly spaced apart asking to placed back on the mailing list. But no, I am quite aware that there is a sea of good wine out there such that no single wine or retailer is indispensable. In some ways, it is for the best. Less temptation, less crowding of my already overcrowded cellar.

Ok, that’s good, and you don’t owe me or anybody an explanation. However…

I still don’t understand the “plenty of fish in the sea” thing, as if you are writing RP off. He’s not a traditional business, so I don’t understand why you’d be bothered in the slightest with such a short time incommunicado.

No horse in the race, but it seems like you think he’s doing something wrong here. Given his business model, I just don’t understand what that something is.

If 9 months is a short time incommunicado, then what is your definition of a long time?

I’m just looking at the recent date of Friday. I’m just guessing there is an email snafu if what Mitch says about this past thread is correct.

That would be my guess. Typo in an address, a screwy junk mail setting or some other email or ISP weirdness. If he’s traveling he may not be looking at the board or may not have access or time to fiddle with email settings.

I wouldn’t assume some personal grudge.

1 Like

I must admit that I too suspect a computer glitch. There have been other constant senders (Netflix, LastBottle, etc) that I have intentionally put on “block junk mail” status and once done, there seems to be no undoing it. I have unintentionally hit “block junk mail” in a rush to deal with spam in the past and this may be such a scenario. I asked a question, got answers. I am sure I did not do DtEW/RP an iota of harm in asking.

[scratch.gif]

Congratulations Julian Davies, you managed to spot two inconsistent statements made at separate times and you took them out of context and managed an emoticon. Impressive work. Do you have nothing else better to do? You joined here just over two years ago and have managed to post an impressive number of times in that relative short window. Is this representative of your contributions and does it help explain your post-count? Funny thing; history has shown that your type flame out and disappear within a few years. Be my guest. Flame out.

Well that escalated quickly

Wow

Talk about jumping to conclusions. looks like Mitch needs a hug

Nope. I just have a distaste for vapid substance-less posts of Mr. Davies’ type.
Good timing though, I just got a hug in the form of my first email offer from DtE and Robert in a year.
All is good.

So have we confirmed sighting of Mr. Panzer? [stirthepothal.gif]

I had great experience with Robert, but stopped buying when he wouldn’t let me cherry pick. Good guy though.

OK, now I’m going to use that emoticon: [scratch.gif]

A lot of local geeks are very satisfied loyal customers. I have nothing against Rob…just never got around to ordering directly (a few bottles here and there via friends). For a while I received some direct emails and found a few offers to be “bundled”, not unlike a Winery wine-club…i.e.: “You want bottle C? You must buy bottles A and B too.”. No doubt that’s how Rob was granted access to desirable bottle C. So I’m not at all surprised that Mark asked to cherry pick. I’d probably be a buyer if it was an option…but it’s not…so I’m not.

RT

Never heard of that, but now Mark’s comment makes sense. Thx

that’s cause you just buy bordeaux! nothing to bundle ;D

Unfortunately that was the problem. I love his enthusiasm and his championing certain wineries, but I am targeting wines I really want to drink, and have no interest in being forced to buy wines that are of little interest. That being said, if I were just starting, being able to taste a range of wines from a single vintage and understand the difference would be worthwhile, but I am not looking to further my education.

Once you become an old stodgy partner, too, you will flip to Bordeaux.

:wink: