Double decant question

I have no idea what the answer is, but I have some thoughts: it all depends on what you think decanting is going to accomplish. Is it to expose the wine to oxygen? or is it to allow undesirable compounds in the wine (e.g., SO2 or other sulfur compounds) to escape? If the former, then double decanting seems like a functional solution, as the wine will absorb some air during the process (though I suspect much less then leaving in a wide bottom decanter for several hours, and swirling once in a while to mix things up). The the latter, then it seems to me that double decanting will accomplish little, as those compounds won’t have enough time to escape the wine during the few seconds of decanting.

If this were the case then we would say I have many decanters of wine in my cellar. We don’t. We have bottles. Saying returning the wine to the bottle is decanting it is goofy and confusing. Someone was lazy long ago and didn’t want to say they returned their wine to the bottle so they said they “double decanted” it. But they didn’t.

How many times have you pour a bottle into another bottle to decant it?

I do it routinely. Have a particularly heavy bottle I use for this purpose, for stability. Funnel into my “decanting” bottle, clean out original bottle, funnel wine back into original bottle. I always assume this is what is meant by “double decanting”, though it doesn’t matter to me what the intermediate vessel is.

There is literally no reason to double decant into another decanter - once you have a wine in a larger vessel, you can just slosh it around to expose it to more air.

What? :smiley: Are you trolling now or just making an attempt at a lousy joke?

Just google the term “decanting”.

Is that it Alan? The 48 hours is a desired/controlled time? Ok cool. I wouldn’t do it. But everyone is free to choose.

I was more wondering if that 48 hours is controllable. Can he do 20 hrs? Etc.

You people will nitpick about anything, won’t you?

Depends on what you mean by nitpick. champagne.gif

Yes. Decanting just means moving a liquid from one vessel to another.

Google:
"gradually pour (wine, port, or another liquid) from one container into another, typically in order to separate out sediment.
“he decanted the rich red liquid into some glasses”
synonyms: pour out, pour off, draw off, siphon off, drain, tap, tip, discharge, transfer
“the wine was decanted into a clean flask” "

But he says above that he has experience with enjoying this wine more after a long decant. The problem I see is that I know of no way to correlate to e in bottle post decant with time in decanter. My preference would be (if possible) to decant for maybe an hour less than the wine needs in his experience, back in bottle and head out to the dinner forgetting the 48 hours.

If. That isnt possible then I agree with those who suggest refrigeration post decant to slow any changes and wou,d give it Considerably less time in the decanter.

Where is the pedant emoticon when we need it?

To dive in on this thread…I am a big believer in aeration for old and young wines…and for getting rid of sediment in older wines to not confuse the tastebuds. How to do that in any given situation, as Jay corroborates is the real challenge. I have developed some criteria over the years, which vary over several criteria. I often find older reds better the next day…from many regions.

Some of the variables are the need to decant/ ie, pour off so the sediment is removed to a reasonable degree (I actually run it through a white, nonbleach coffee filter, as I think it does no harm and makes the wine cleaner). But, also, it depends on how much time I have; and how much of that time I have that I can actually monitor things. (When I don’t have time to monitor, I clean and then put the wine back in bottle and leave the bottle open…and leave enough in decanter to create some head space.) With pop and pour… the wine will be great initially and then shut down with no time to do anything about it. (That’s why I think wines often show better the next day). Aerating a wine for an hour, is , to me,“the worst of all worlds”. It will likely use up a good chunk of the grace period on initial opening…and then shut down, when you want to drink it). Long aeration can be good, if you have the time and time to monitor. But, the safest thing, to me, is to double decant. It does allow for some slow aeration, without the risks of other forms of prep…and the wine is cleaned.

Bottom line: there is no bottom line. It’s an art. And , we’re all trying to get the wine to show its best “under the available circumstances”. The “circumstances” vary widely, starting with the age , origin and cepage of the wine…and going from there to the cliff.

Often people confuse aeration with decanting

[rofl.gif]

So i did a 4 hour decant in a wide bottom decanter then recorked and left in fridge for 24 hours, opened and left for several hours to come up to room temp. Wine was in good condition but still not very drinkable, it was a Carter 16 BTK Cab. The wine was way to shut down, hints of chocolate and plum, tannins there but not to puckering.

It was an experiment that failed miserably, stay away from these wines for a long time, dont know if thats a 16 thing but regardless i will not be opening anymore 16 cabs in the next 5 years

Obviously too late to the party but I’d have been interested to hear your thoughts if you had initially poured yourself a glass and followed it over a couple hours… We’ve had good luck with 16’s with minimal air.