Don't Stop Me Now... OR The Young and Spend-y Thread

Haha. Whoops. Fixed above.

I’m 37, two kids ages 3 and 5. I was really into wine in my late 20s early 30s but that fell off dramatically when we had kids, owing to both time and money. I was fairly active on the WS board at the time and met some good people through there and am just getting back into it now the last year or so.

We make decent money, all relative I suppose, but live in Vancouver so we also have a hefty mortgage. We recently built a 500 bottle cellar in our home in the only place we could give up the space, a large closet in the basement. I was quite happy how it turned out. My tastes have evolved slightly over the years, With less of a focus on Napa and moreso on Bordeaux (half my cellar), Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Champagne and Italy. I’d like to get more into burgundy as we had a great visit there pre-kids but the prices make me wary of dabbling. I don’t see my focus shifting on the above mentioned regions anytime soon, but I’m always happy to grab a few Napa cabs or Oregon points if the value is there. Average price per bottle in my cellar right now is on the high side and the wine is on the young side so I’d like to work on having more reasoned priced mature drinkers, though backfilling is much more difficult and expensive in Canada.

Kris, pal, buddy… :wink:

58 y/o (how did that happen?!), one more year of college for my daughter which is mostly covered by 529 and her student loans, one son in paid grad school (it’s good to be in computer science), maxed out my 401k (and 529 contributions) when I could and no plan on retiring from my job any time soon unless they wheel me out one way or another. A good chunk of my income (ok, just about all) that doesn’t go towards retirement and home expenses goes to wine, dine and travel. I could put more away for later but I’ve already seen a few friends with serious illnesses so you can’t wait too long to take the time to enjoy success, right?

10+ years on the slippery slope of wine appreciation and collecting. About the first 5-7 years was spent exploring my tastes in the <$50 price range, a lot of Paso and WW, with the occasional foray into the $50-$100 zone for some good quality Rhone or Napa. The last 2-3 years my price points have probably doubled with more Napa higher end cabs, including a lot of '14-'16, focusing more on winemakers (Venge, Brown, Smith) and smaller vineyards vs the bigger more well known names (Mondavi, BV, etc). I see myself continuing along this path for another 10 years or so providing health and wealth stay on course, then somehow winding that down. It’s also taken about 10 years to find out what’s acceptable for me in a $30-$40 wine so have begun buying more of what I like in a more focused way in that price range for regular drinking.

There are more expensive hobbies and addictions out there. Be responsible and hit the 401k and 529 early and often to take care of the future for your family and invest in some decent wines for you to enjoy in your middle age is a great approach. [cheers.gif]

I’m with you. Have gone from 0 to ~1100 bottles in the cellar (which is three years old) in four years while drinking a bottle a night. Damn the torpedoes!

I’m 44. I won’t stop buying until I’m broke or dead (or have a line of sight to broke-i-tude). When I’m dead and the kids (and, at some point, grandkids) speak of me, they’ll speak well.

-af

Does that come in jugs? Sounds awesome.

Curious how many have done built in cellars in the last few years? Isn’t the young and spendy years the time to do it?

An awful lot of the people cutting back are 25-30 years older than you and have cellars with 10 times as much capacity or more than your 175. They (we) are still partying, but with wines purchased when wines were at prices you cannot imagine. Also, I am retired, house is paid for and kids are done with schooling (no student loans) and on their own. Want to talk lifestyle???

One would expect this comment from a pusher (I mean producer).

Burgundy did see some prices going down. For example, the prices of 2008 Jadot were really cheap at pre-arrival. There also were some very good deals that would pop up on occasion even on some plums like 2001 Bachelet Gevrey Chambertin and GC Corbeaux. Some deals were available based on wholesalers, etc., being afraid of sitting on too much stock when the economy collapsed and so were short-lived and only lasted through stock on hand. Vintages like 2001 and 2007 in Burgundy remained a pretty good value for a while. Prices started going up again with 2009s and 2010s and I don’t remember too many great deals on 2005s, although there were a few.

It is interesting. All these millennials on this board as so tech savvy but many of them don’t seem to have ever seen a search function before.

Small fortune??? My kids (now 33 and 30) cost a small fortune. By the time your kids finish college, they will have cost you a large fortune.

Savage!

[berserker.gif] to whoever resurrected this thread!

In the past 36 hours, I’ve purchased two mags and 10 standard bottles. Still going strong. [training.gif]

Yeah yeah now get over here and pick up all your wines! I’m old and my cellar needs some room [head-bang.gif]

I have three bottles of Vilmart for you! neener

Twenty-five years old here and do most of my wine drinking with my girlfriend (live together, no kids no pets). Got a taste for wine in college when I worked in a tasting room on the weekends. We got a Eurocave with a ~200 bottle capacity in 2017, but buy wine in waves and generally not very much. The cellar is less than 100 bottles right now, with a majority in Loire, German Riesling, Champagne and sherry. Generous family friends will open old Bordeaux or Burgundy, but I don’t see the point of chasing a white whale at this time.

We don’t eat out very much but cook a lot at home, and generally with the best ingredients we can get. I kind of see this as my wine budget, where my peers and colleagues would rather spend the money on restaurants and bars (really good food scene around here).

Below 40, why not have a much bigger cellar? Especially if you already built cellar space, then you could be buying bottles… storing them for free… and 5-10 YRs from now deciding if you like them or flipping out of them. And with so many big vintages (CA, Rhone, Bordeaux, Barolo)… why not buying some “anchor” vintages to kick start your cellar that can go 20-30+ years?

$$$$?

True, but this is the Young and Spend-y Thread. $$$$ are no object.

I would like to point you, good doctor, to the footnotes in the OP: