Domaine Michel Sarazzin et Fils Question

I couldn’t find any topics or posts about this small producer in the Côte Chalonnaise. Does anyone have experience with this producer’s wines? CT reviews seem to be quite positive…

2 Likes

These wines are incredible. Go all in. The Maranges, Givry, and even the Bourgogne Rouge all overdeliver.

2 Likes

I’ve only had the Bourgogne VV but is was a QPR superstar. A local supermarket would carry it. With their mix 6 pricing putting it around $18, it was a no brainer. They have unfortunately stripped down their entire wine section and have not carried it for a couple vintages now though.

1 Like

I have been buying since 2014 directly, really good value for money. The white Rully Sans Nom is good. The Givry’s are the strong point, especially the VV and the Darcy. I tasted an aged Givry at the winery like anaged NSG

1 Like

I’ve only had the Givry Champs Lalot and it was well worth the modest price.

2 Likes

Solid producer that is actually quite large by the standards of family owned domaines in the Côte Chalonnaise. Harvesting is by machine, and they are something of a flag bearer client for François Frères, much like the Joblots were, so you can expect some toasty, smoky barrel influence in both colors.

2 Likes

Thank you all, this is super helpful!

Any thoughts on their cremants? I see them around a bit, too. (In the context of cremant de bourgogne, of course, and not necessarily whether they scratch the “champagne itch.”)

Bought a few of the remaining 2020 Sarrazin Givry 1er Cru VV on a clearance sale after reading recommendations in this topic. Not sure when would be a good first opportunity to taste - assuming these are painfully young at this point. At least 2-3 years?

William and @D_Pennet, can you recommend producers of similar quality but with less oak influence?
Thanks in advance.

The Givry VV 2020 has just down, it will need a few years. This is the most structured wine in the range. Sarrazin recommends 10-15 years.

2 Likes

P&M Jacquesson are a more modern take on Rully. I prefer the whites to the reds. The Pucelles is really nice and a big jump up from the village Rully. There MERCUREY RGE 20 NAUGUES is the best red for me.

For me personally De Villiane is just so much better than any other producer. The price is high, but the wines are just in another league.

I also really like Domaine Chanzy’s Rully, the selection is quite big and inconsistent, however the Rully’s and the Bouzeron’s are good.

Jean Chartron’s Rully Montmorin is also very good, it starts off a bit dilute but if you age it, it puts on wieght and is really nice.

The big name is Vincent Dureuil-Janthial, I don’t have much experience with them although we will start to sell ths year.

Not Rully, Eric Boussey in Monthelie is worth looking out for. Also Domaine Feuillat-Juillot, mineral driven whites at really good prices. Les Coeres is my favourite,

I think the whole Chalonnaisse is worth exploring

For me the best in the region are Dureuil-Janthial and Lorenzon who make much better wines than many producers in the Côte d’Or. Lumpp are also excellent, the first to try to bring higher quality vine genetics from the Côte d’Or down south. Alain Hasard in Aluze is excellent, he eschews scores though he did let me review his wines once, a former restauranteur, with high density plantings and very good winemaking in modest appellations; I taste every year just for fun. Tupinier Bautista make very gourmand, fleshy, fruit-driven reds that show well at any age. Domaine du Cellier aux Moines is an ambitious newcomer that has really found its feet with the 2019 Givry reds. Maxime Cottenceau who worked with Dureuil has also gotten off to a very strong start and will go very far for sure. I have done an annual article on the Chalonnaise, sometimes including lesser known AOCs of the Côte d’Or and the Hautes-Côtes in the mix too, ever since I joined TWA and it has gotten a very good reception generally. As a region, it remains very under-explored and most commentators couldn’t tell you the difference between e.g. Les Margotés and Meix Cadot, or frankly even Givry and Mercury, without looking at a map, because this idea that these terroirs are inherently capable of making anything competitive with the Côte d’Or was just so deeply implanted that when the wines were bad it confirmed the a priori, and when they were good no one believed it.

1 Like

Thank you gentlemen, I am always a bit leery of too much oak influence; much preferring wines (red and white) with only the slightest touch of new oak, preferably just used or old oak. I’ll give these producers my consideration.
Gratefully yours,
William