Domaine Faiveley Clos des Cortons Faiveley Vertical ATL with Erwan Faiveley

Great job Michael. You and Bob went well beyond in putting this together.

Thanks!

I have very little Faiveley, particularly GCs, but a few years back Garagiste ran a special on a six-pack horizontal of their 2001 GCs for a silly cheap price compared to what the new wines go for (though I realize quality has improved). I still have them all. Perhaps they’ll be ready to open for grandchildren’s college graduations…

An amazing event.Thank you for the notes Don.

FYI - if you are a BH subscriber he has written up this event in the newly released Issue 73. Pages 208-216.

Eek–how did I miss this thread back in May? Thanks much, Michael, for bringing it back up on the board. Fantastic notes, Don. Of the recent vintages, I have thought 07 and 10 were exceptional for Corton in general—and there was value to be had from the Grand Cru in terms of pricing. Love that you got to compare right then and there with some older vintages.

Sante

Mike

Just opened ‘07 this week, fantastic showing.

Had the 2001 just recently and it was not a great showing. Didn’t see this thread earlier, and it sounds like the 2001 was a disappointing showing here as well.

Thanks for the notes Don. Looks like an awesome tasting.

Were there multiple bottles of each vintage? I see some striking differences between your notes and Alan Meadows’ notes on some of the wines. For example, you have 1999 as corked and Alan loved it (rated 95 pts).

Don, thanks for the notes, great read.

I agree the 2010 should be a great bottle with time.

Paul,
We had single bottles but there were some backups. Allen also tasted a few of the wines on other occasions than this specific tasting. I know he retasted some of the wines on another occasion.

hope the new ones prove both more approachable and ageable. I need to drink some old ones. Thanks. Lovely thread.

Amazing tasting. I’m about to write up a mini-vertical covering the “reconstructed” vintages. Don’t see much really old Faiveley at the cavistes I shop from, it’s a pity.

This must be such a great way to really learn and understand a vineyard & producer.

Fantastic vertical. I had the 05 recently and it is fantastically balanced, piercing, nervy and complete. It’s neck and neck with the 2010. We’ll see how they stand against the 93 in some years. I suspect the 2010s will be very special.

Who knows where that plot exactly is?