Domaine de la Romanée-Conti 2009

I am currently taking German classes…first time ever trying to learn a language. So, I will never criticize, only say thanks for posting!

In the more recent vintage the RSV has almost always looked like this early compared to the Richebourg…

Then, a few years on, the RB starts to overtake it IMHO.

Hi Roman - nice notes!
I’ve only had the opportunity to taste the Corton vs the Echézeaux, but personally from the 09s I had a preference for the Corton. Do you think it was well placed in the tasting, coming after the GE?

Looking forward to making a blind tasting of 09 Cortons with some winemakers later this year, including the DRC - a good way to test the merits of the bottle I think…

Bill,

Had the DRC '09 Corton blind next to another '09 Corton a few weeks ago.

No mistaking that it is really DRC first and Corton second…

Because the stems or what Paul? - I will (of-course) have other bottles made with plenty of stems in the tasting…

i would say,in blind tasting you find the corton too 100%.
open first,and had others flavours(darker).
but was also round,silky,and self-contained,same was the character from all others DRC wines.
I think that was the essence from all wine.

Sorry Bill
have problem with this englisch question.
Corton was not after GE.
You had all wine at the same time.
Many people was GE the first empty glass.
Echezeaux was for me best Echezeaux from the last years incl. 2005.
You know tasting is ever at the same time.All year same wine age.

Okay, understood Roman - sorry. From your notes I thought you drank Echézeaux, GE, Corton in such an order, not all together.
Thanks!

think for the aeration you must open first RC,LT,RB then GE,E, RSVT and last Corton.
think Corton is so especially,is difficult,too say must after this or this. blush

Not just the stemmy DRC character, but it is bigger, darker (black), much more structured - even in a vintage like '09 where many of the Cortons seems much more approachable than in other years, the DRC looks is a much more muscular Corton, but also just looks very DRC like. Silky yes, but still just bigger, much more power and more layered than anything else I have seen.

Interesting - thanks Paul.

Paul,
Have you tasted Faiveley Corton 2009 yet? I think it is a few steps up the ladder in comparison with DRC Corton.

I do not know if this is a DRC Release-Tasting.

In Montrael, Quebec, Canada the importer organized such a tasting every year. The last one I attened was for vintage 1997 which costed CA $ 250 per person with norml 6 reds ( and no Montrachet ).

For recent tastings, it includes the Montrachet and also VR 1ieme - if it was released. The cost is, needless to say, now around CA $1000 person. I stopped attending because of my wife …[cheers.gif]

All the wines were served non-blind and they were pour into the glasses which were lined right in front of each participants.

The official tasting ( = sipping the juice [swoon.gif] ) would only started after all the wines were all served.

Hi Peter,
thats right.
Difference is ,i can not stopping because of my wife. [wow.gif]

Roman…thanks for confirmation.

We will talk more about …wife = no more exciting…after you had attended such an evening for many, many more years.

Do not want to be negative, but Burgundy is about everthing and is not just limited to a few famous producers - so say Jasper Morris ( or something like that ). [cheers.gif]

I know
cellared Morot,Bouchard,Jadot,Faiveley,Gouges and many others.( many villages) [cheers.gif]
2009 DRC tasting was the sixth.
Go not many tastings. Most tasted at home. [cheers.gif]
PS;
with my bad english,i can not understand all.(Humor,serious,reproachful,and many others) blush

Hans, I have 6 bottles but haven’t tried it yet…

Must do so soon.

Roman…your English is fine and I understand what you had said very well.

I would like to repeat that my post regarding wife was never intended to be negative. I am too much in love with burgundy wines and very respectful to all the Burgundy producers who work so hard there to bring us the joyful enjoyments the hardest way they could and the best ways they know how !

Here are some thoughts, which I completely agree with, from Jaser Morris in his wonderful book : Inside Buugundy.

On page 15, he said …****burugndy does not respond well to being put in a straitjacket. There are NO SET RULES to making Burgundy; there are NO SET RULES to appreciating, It intrigues, fascinatse, disappoints, charms. enraptures and puzzles. Very like the life of man … ****

On page 13, he talks about - The vigneros as hero :

*****For all that the stamp of the vigeron is crucial to the nature of the wine ( a point explored in the chapter on stylistic choices ), we should RESIST the temptation of placing the growers on pedestals, investing them with hero status. They are human beings like the rest of us : some are better at the job than others, all are capable of making mistake from time to time, and of moments of sublime achievement when everuything comes togather as it should. The cult of the individual growers as a demi-god in his or her own right is dangerous.

Our vigneron WILL CHANGE TOO during the course of a career ****

So are we, as burgundy lovers, our tast ( or preference ) will change during the course of our life. What I mean to say is : take as many tasting course as you could mow; but gradually we change according to what Proust said :

((( We do not succeed in changing things according to our desire, but gradually our desire changes. The situation that we hope to change because it was intolerable becomes un-important. We have managed not to surmount the obstacle as we are absolutely determined to do, but life has taken us round it, and then if we turn to gaze at the road past. We can barely catch sight of it so imperceptible has it become. )))