Domaine de Chevalier 2000 and 2005

Sorry about the BAMA - you really have been unlucky. I had the DDC 02 this weekend, which was very good on the first night, not so good on the second. Plenty of ripe red cherries at first, with some sour cherry coming next and an interesting blend of the two on the finish. I liked the bright acidity and tension a lot and on the first night, thought it was one of the best I have opened recently. On the second night, however, a rather unpleasant note of kirsch took over the finish. Still, overall much better than the last two 04s and I preferred it to the 00.
What I found amusing was the comparison with a Couly Dutheil Clos de L’Echo Crescendo 02, which actually tasted more like a Pessac-Léognan than the DDC.

My vintage is a very (and I mean very in it’s most crystalline form here) poor one, 1968. You hardly ever see them because no one bothered cellaring any. But, for what it’s worth, I have had the 68 DDC twice in the last few years and it has been surprisingly good. Last months showing was the best one. A wine that surprised not just me but also some experienced palates each time.

Not that a single bottle is available anywhere in the world on Wine Searcher. But still, a tip for fellow unfortunates born in that unfortunate harvest year. Keep on the lookout.

Johan,
You have some choices. Excellent California vintage, and Vega if you manage to avoid a corked bottle (the magnums seem to be a bigger problem). A single vineyard Taylor Vargellas I tasted was also fabulous.

Now try my year, 1956. No wine great there, not even close. I did have an Armagnac which was delicious, but the few bottles that have come my way are all shot. Fortunately as a February baby, I decided for this purpose alone, I was a Roman Catholic, and life began at conception, I.e. 1955.

2 Likes

I’ve long been a fan of the 79 DDC, for years available at amazing prices for quality, don’t think I ever had to pay more than $50. Now more. :frowning:
The only time I had it at same time as the '81 was at your vertical, where I slightly preferred ;79, but both great.

1968 is pretty strong Rioja vintage as well.

1 Like

Thanks Mark, you made me feel less of a loser!

Yeah, last week in Napa there were similar opinions on the 68s from California. Did not have time to go hunting for one but surely will when I return in May. Have had a few interesting Riojas also from my year.

And well played you vs God/Fate, depending on your persuasion.

Spot on.

2016 DDC last night was not good. I am not hopeful for Day 2. I’ll post a note at some point. I have yet to have DDC from this century anywhere close to past glories and continuing glories from the past.

Try a 2018. It will be one heck of a wine when it grows old.
Anthony Galloni gave it 97, same as '18 Haut Brion.

I found the same phenomenon with Pontet Canet, though a bit different. The 1990 and 1995 were lovely, balanced terroir driven wines. The 2005 was over the top, highly extracted, micro oxygenated, over oaked and could have been from anywhere along route 29. Big disappointment and clearly a house making a move for a specific style.

1 Like

+1. I tasted several 2018s single blind and it came out on top. Ethereal and light, with high-toned red fruit and super floral aromatics that you could smell across the room. I was convinced it was Rauzan-Segla.

I’m not quite as harsh, but your notes aren’t far from mine on the 2005 from this weekend. It was certainly disappointing for the current value. For those who have tried a lot of different DDCs from old and more recent vintages, should I take this as a reasonable reflection of how future DDC releases will be, or is this just a tough vintage? Anomaly, or sign of things to come?

I hear there has been a change beginning in 2018, and the 2019, in particular, does have a strong terroir signature. I have not tasted, so cannot comment, but knowing how good the terroir can be, that sounds a very positive development. I would however skip over anything after 2000.

1 Like

That’s good news for me since I have a single '18 to try and a few futures purchased for '19 and '20. I’ll probably crack that '18 early to see if I should opt to get rid of the others, though I guess I’ll have to handicap for hotter vintage and early oak presence.

Some recent CT notes on the '18 mention “Napa” as a descriptor, so the varying reviews on that one have me puzzled. I did pick up some '19s based on WK’s hearty recommendation, but probably 7-10 years before I open one to find out what we have.

DDC 2018 is not “Napa” in a bad way. It is fruit driven, but still definitely Bordeaux.

It’s just not the kind of “Leather wallet makes love to a cigar box” Bordeaux some expect.

1 Like

In fairness, none of the 18s I’ve tasted are that…

I opened another bottle today at lunch. This bottle was far better than the last, partly I suspect as it was decanted for a couple of hours and evolved in the glass for another two.

The final sip was the best. It was now very Graves, lots of harness leather, gun flint and herb. Loved the wine. 95

1 Like

Another bottle of what? 2000? 2005?

I had a smashing bottle of the 2000 DDC last Spring. Here’s my thoughts on it:
Enchanting bouquet, delicate, expressive, a little sweet and cedary with a whiff of Gravesy char, floral with minty notes and a touch of fresh herbs. 94-95 pt bouquet. Lighter bodied, tangy and bright on the palate, but with plenty of grip and persistence. Savory-sappy and a little sour, so refreshing with notes of beef broth and lemon zest. Suave texture. I so love the nose here, it’s almost like a great Margaux. In sum, a compelling, delicious, interesting wine in a great spot. Why they changed things up at this address is such a mystery (probably the pernicious pull of Parkerization).

1 Like

Yes, Pat has got it right. I opened it thinking it was a perfectly nice luncheon claret and it revealed itself to be something a lot more profound and worthy of a more reverent dinner.

The changeover came at a time of Parker’s greatest influence, so it was I suppose natural to bring in a consultant, in this case Dererencourt. I have tasted Dererencourt’s wines from different vineyards around the world, and found similarities whether it came from Virginia or Leognan. What I did not get from DDC was the personality of the wines from the past.

I recently opened a half bottle of 2019, and I thought it very fine, with the complexity missing from many 21st century wines. I understand the change back came with the 2018 vintage.