Does Anyone Still Buy Aldo Conterno Barolo?

I figured it made most sense to post this in this old thread.

I was interested to receive this tasting note in a retailer’s email today:

2017 Aldo Conterno Barolo Romirasco
“> Though well-marked by new oak> , there’s a vibrant quality to this Barolo, along with cherry, raspberry, iron, tar and tobacco flavors. Supple, almost elegant, with a long, spicy aftertaste, this shows plenty of detail and energy. Best from 2025 through 2040. 480 cases made, 50 cases imported.”-Bruce Sanderson

According to the winery’s website, the Romirasco is aged only in casks:

CELLAR REFINING:The new wine is decanted several times before transfer to oak casks where it is aged and refined.

(In the Italian version, it says “botti,” so this pretty clearly means large casks.)

For a winery that claims not to use barriques on their Barolos, it’s funny how many are perceived as oaky.

The wines taste like oak because the standard practice is to scrape out the insides of the casks every year so that the new vintage is in contact with ‘new’ wood. A winery website is never going to give you the full story. It’s marketing material. That doesn’t mean winery sites can’t be good…some are, and some are amazingly great and educational too. But it is marketing.

4 Likes

In the past few years I’ve gone through a lot of 97, 01 and 04 Cicala, 04 Colonnello, 04 Romirasco and 04 base Barolo.

All of those 2004s were fantastic, especially the Colonnello and Romirasco. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more 04 Aldo C.

I’m sitting on a few 06 Granbussia that I won’t touch for at least a handful of years, but that’s the most current vintage I own. I’d buy more, but they’re getting pricey.

Thanks for the info. I’ve never heard of anyone scraping their casks every year. Is the idea to pick up oak flavors? Or for cleanliness purposes?

When I visited in 2005 and asked about the seeming oak aromas on a couple of wines, one of Aldo’s sons (I’m forgetting which) said it might be because they replaced a botte.

I used to buy the wines, but after a while I realized that they just had too much oak for me, and I quit (after 2004). Now, a Granbussia just tastes disappointing, and I end up thinking, “wow, it’s too bad they did this”. Plus, during my buying time, the style kept migrating, so you were never quite sure where it was headed, or what you were getting. I have no idea where the style is now, but with the price of the wines now, I have no interest in trying to find out.

i bought a mixed case and they certainly weren’t damaged. Some of the best Barolos I’ve ever had. That being said, I not buying any new ones as I’m just getting too old, damn.

As I recall, Conterno switched importers, so the old importer dumped its inventory. The new importer or some retailers (I can’t recall the origin) then started putting out the word that the cheap supplies were damaged. As I recall, it was all BS.

Had a 2006 Romirasco on Friday. It was OK, and while not especially marred by oak, it also didn’t have the typicity I’d hope for in Barolo. In an afternoon of mostly unremarkable wines, it didn’t stand out.

We had a 2010 Colonello last year and it seemed a bit heavy handed. I think we’ll stick with Bartolo Mascarello for the pure Nebbiolo expression.