Do you typically drink Oregon pinot 10+ years past vintage?

That was one of my favorites too. I still remember it so clearly.

I guess there’s the question of how you enjoy your Pinot Noir, but if you do like it with some developed, tertiary character, I think there’s no question that there are producers in Oregon making wines that improve with more than 10 years of age.

I second the motion…

I don’t know about you guys but I haven’t opened any red wine in a while because of this heat. It’s vinho verde time…

I’ve had a few reds this summer, but mostly beer, white wines, and rosés. But an OR Pinot offline in the fall sounds lovely.

Ron… The Thomas rule in action.

We drink cellar temp and lightly chilled reds all Summer. Lots of Cru Beaujolais…cases worth. Plenty of Loire Reds. Currently working through a case of 2015 Felsina Chianti among other Tuscans. I’ve been enjoying US and French Syrah with grilled burgers. 90%+ of what we drink are work-a-day wines (i.e.: $15 - $25ish). I don’t think twice about sticking them in the fridge to finish on Day 2 or 3.

RT

Good thought, but no, the avatar is only an homage to Bob Wood and the Another Shitty '07 OR PN thread…now, Jason Hagen maybe…

I find myself an outlier.

I think 10 years is ‘young’ for my palate.

Oregon pinots seem to do quite well for extended times.

Time for an inventory to see what examples I can describe.

I love the tertiary flavors that come with age.

i think your posts in this thread win for most relevant profile picture/thread involvement of the day.

I’m a ‘yes’ for preferring more age on my Oregon Pinots. We’ll check in on a 20 year old 1998 Magnum of Thomas this weekend at IPNC.

:slight_smile:

Greg bringing some AFWE lumber!

You got permission for the whole weekend?

RT

The whole enchilada. Sorry to miss you and Joanne this year. I keep meaning to send you an email, but things have been absolutely crazy. Looking forward to the break this weekend.

Yes on 10+. Drinking 02 and 05 now.

I am in the 10+ year camp, but I prefer just about everything with some age. It is rare for me to open a bottle that I consider over the hill. To me it is largely a matter of personal preference.

for a couple producers, I’m in this camp. Just a quick selection of notes

From 2016

2002 Eyrie Reserve Pinot Noir

Anyone who needs the lesson of leaving Oregon Pinot to age has only to try a bottle of this. Cinnamon bark and cumin just tickle at your imagination here as they curl around a lovely, pure strawberry and sweet raspberry core. And this is ethereal when it hits the mouth, as elegant as you’ll look to find, with lovely lifted berry replays and an earthiness that is still so light and fine. I am very grateful to Ryan for bringing this, a gorgeous Pinot and my WOTD

From 2017

1990 Eyrie Pinot Noir

Oh, now. Just what I want. So settled down and sophisticated now. Ohmmmm…revelicious. THIS is where Oregon pinot can get to. It’s so subtly evocative with light raspberry, cranberry and lightest earth. Just adore how ethereal this is now. I love this, really do. WOTN

from 3 weeks ago

2005 St. Innocent Seven Springs PN

fine, full brambly stiff, tons of earch and some pepper notes. Still kinda attractively primal—it’s definitely drinkable with glints of currant & raspberry, but 5 more years will be all to the good.

From 2012 (probably too young)

2005 St. Innocent Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir

Very mocha-and-berries infused nose, possibly some allspice too. This is a winner, remarkably smooth and sure of itself dans la bouche, there is still some element of herbs and slight pepperiness, but the red fruit is the sure-fire core here and tannins approach velvety. A very little bit hot at first, but that goes away with subsequent sips.

Not all fit into that category. An Arteberry Maresh Dundee from a recent vintage was lovely and open, and I’ve had Thomas and Sineann product 3 or 4 years out that also showed very well.

Mike

Have a great time…and it may not be the break you expect unless you squeeze in some power naps! Pinot intensity. [cheers.gif]

RT

It showed fine - I don’t think it knocked anyone’s socks off, but it was in fine shape and showing a little age. Certainly didn’t appear to be a candidate to age gracefully for another 10. My point (which may not have been clear) was that it was dismissed by some because ‘OR PN can’t possibly even be drinkable after 10 years’.

Understatement of the year. champagne.gif But somewhat on topic, my wine of the day today was the 1998 Domaine Lefarge Volnay Clos des Chenes.