Do you think Rougeard is worth it?

To cut a long story short, I am among those who believe that Clos Rougeard is a breed apart, so to speak. Or rather, I did/it was when I was still buying (up to and including a modest amount of 2011). If you have never had it and you’re losing sleep over it, from my perspective, an older bottle might be worth the splurge just to give yourself a chance to experience the magic, or “otherness”, that so many people are on about. Continuing to chase it now, however, given the circumstances and everything that Clos Rougeard has become? Nah… I was lucky enough to have access to it for many years when pricing was still reasonable, and the wines were still sort of flying under the radar. That was fun, and I still have a bit stashed away, just to stop my neighbours from thinking that I’m cheap :slight_smile:. But, perhaps precisely because I like lots of different wines very much, I don’t really think there’s a single one in my world that is worth this kind of fuss.

2 Likes

(And, BTW, if I had to pick one to try and track down, it would be the Poyeux. Great as they all can be and often are, the Poyeux is the most distinctive of the three, if you ask me).

Plus 1

For me, spending $200 on a bottle of the current vintage basic wine is a bigger waste of money than spending $300-400 on an older bottle up the ladder. While I don’t really spend $300-400 on bottles often, if you’re looking to see what a truly great winery/vineyard can do, then make sure you get the absolute best possible chance for a transcendant wine.

And count on the fact that when a wineries elite track record is based on amazing wines from the top bottlings after cellaring for a decade or more, that buying the entry level and drinking it young is a considerably lower probability for a successful outcome.

It’s a bummer that Rougeard prices exploded, the wines are phenomenal. But you can also get great wines from Olga Raffault, C&P Breton, and the Franc de Pieds bottling from Thierry Germain(love this wine), as well as the wines from Baudry as David mentioned.

Yes for both Les Poyeux and Le Bourg.

Really depends on your income.

My last vintage was 2008 as after that the prices were just more than I felt comfortable paying. But if my salary doubled tomorrow I’d probably be a buyer again.

In my experience the Bourg really needs a lot of time to come around. If you’re going to try one I wouldn’t go for that

I disagree with those who say the Clos is a huge step down from the Poyeaux and Bourg. It might not be as ageworthy but that can be a benefit of you don’t want to cellar fir a long time

2 Likes

+1

I’m not a buyer of Rougeard (not spouse approved) but have had a few tastes of aged Clos and Poyeux and Bourg courtesy of generous friends. My sense is it’s better to think of the three as different styles, as opposed to different quality levels. If you like a lighter, more ethereal style the Clos is for you. If you like something weightier, the Poyeux is for you (or Bourg). On the continuum of light and ethereal vs. dark and deep, the Poyeux and the Bourg are much closer to each other than the Clos and the Poyeux. If you are a fan of elegant Bordeaux (e.g. in the style of Magdelaine) then Poyeux can be an excellent sweet spot, especially given the price differential between the Poyeux and Bourg

No. Cheval is better.

While I can’t quite equate Magdelaine with Rougeard Poyeux as the former, as good as they are at their own rights even at 50 y o+, don’t quite approach the elegance and medium silky texture of the latter when aged. However, I would simply add that the oak barrels where the Rougeard wines are aged makes a ton difference in how and when you would want your Rougeard cab franc.

Le Poyeux ages for up to 24 months in 1-year old barrels; Le Bourg for up to 30 months in 100% new barrels. Imo good reasons, unless one likes to slurp oak, as to why aging them for long is a necessity. A young Les Poyeux and Le Bourg are very tough drinks for me due to the oak, but the ones I’ve had at 20+ y o (the Le Bourg at 25+), get very close to exceptional highly-classified Bordeaux cab-franc dominated wines.

1 Like

Well, truth is, Cheval is better than 99.999999% of the wines made on this planet.

1 Like

Part of me feels like a sucker paying WS prices. Seems like there are a fair number of you somehow able to pay way below WS prices. How are you able to do this? Do you just know which shops get what on what date and then just go in the first day it’s on the shelf? Or are you buying online the very day it becomes available? Any tips on how to get this seemingly impossible pricing?

Become an OCD wine buyer!

Well- in this case, it actually was on WS at $210. The shop had 2 bottles left, I wrote them about it.

Now, it turns out, the owner is a friend of a friend. But I didn’t realize that immediately, and it didn’t result in any discount. Even when we realized we knew each other, he was very up front that he just was not able to discount tightly allocated wines.

This was '14, and it’s after '15 was released, so it’s not like I bought it immediately. I think in this case I just lucked out, and I can be pretty sure that a bottle of new-ish Chenin, even a top vintage from the top estate, shouldn’t really be $400.

And sometimes, when even 3 or 4 shops have something, it’s priced normally (e.g. '89 + '90 Olga Raffault Les Picasses at $100). Then, as soon as only one shop has it, they bump it up to $400. And that can happen pretty rapidly.

I think I’ve only purchased a single bottle of Rougeard, to try so I could decide whether to buy more. Got lost in the cellar so never opened or bought more. It’s a 2007 Les Poyeaux. I imagine if I open it I’ll love it and regret my foolishness for not trying when it sold for so much less. So many wines in the world, I suppose I blew it on this one.

-Al

This is fair. But I continuously think about selling all my Rougeard (all three) and buying Cheval Blanc with the money.

Kind of a strange non-sequitur. Cheval probably averages 3x the price of Poyeux these days, 5x the regular Rougeard, and is nothing like Rougeard stylistically (and only about half Cab Franc). Sure, I’d love to be drinking both, but realistically Rougeard is something I can actually afford, Cheval Blanc is not. More importantly, neither is a good substitute for the other.

Local restaurant list. Last time we took the 2010 Poyeux, what next time?
C1B9904E-033D-4594-93B8-A7875A6679A0.jpg

1 Like

Probably the 2010 poyeaux again and again and again and again.

Altho loved a 2011 poyeaux we had 2 years ago.

‘11 Le Bourg or ‘08 Les Poyeux.

1 Like

Solid prices!

I’d waffle over 07, 08 or 10 Les P. All so good.