Do you still have the FIRST bottle...

The first bottle of wine that I ever purchased with the intent of cellaring was the 1995 Ch. Mouton Rothschild. Purchased 1 bottle for $120, inclusive of tax, in Nov 1998 at Cowtown Discount Liquors in El Paso Texas. Went out and spent about twice that amount on a little 24 bottle wine cellar that same weekend, and it’s still going strong to this day. With the the Mouton, I had just graduated from the Officer Advanced Course at Fort Bliss, and successfully convinced my bride to be (we were getting married in a little over a month) that this was a great buy, and that we could drink it to celebrate a major anniversary someday. I’m think 30th anniversary in 2028 sounds about right!

Lots of lovely sentimental (and/or funny) stories in this thread. Thanks all. Meanwhile, wow…

Simply, wow. You haven’t drunk any of the first 1000 bottles you purchased to “collect”? Have you been drinking similar wines in the meantime? I thought you were going to say that you purchased them as an investment; instead, you’re just awfully patient for a new collector!
Regards,
Peter

Boone’s Farm. Early '70’s. Long gone.

Ain’t nothin but a G thang!

Not hardly

The first bottle I ever bought I gifted to my grandfather when I got back from Napa.

The first bottle I ever bought for myself was a 2003 giscours on release. Still have it!

Drank it a long ago, was a 82 Ridge York Creek Cab given to me by someone who worked at the winery.