Do you like daily emails from Wine Retailers? When is it too much?

What annoys me is that none of these people can ever bring themselves to say, We bought this wine because we like it and here is why…no, they all say… 94 points from the Wine Expectorator …was $500…now $125…supply limited ( to the space in the warehouse out by the men’s room?)

I don’t mind daily e-mails because, heck, I can look at them if I’m ever bored. But when I see a place doing a MAJOR upsell that I find ridiculous, I tend to ignore them for a while.

Without naming the place, I saw one that said “DRC-Like” Pinot Noir for ~$60.

The actual quote was, “An absolutely profound Pinot Noir is their 2010 Pinot Noir Reserve Fort Ross Vineyard, with 48% new oak, aged in French barrels for ten months, and bottled unfined and unfiltered. This also has the same alcoholic potency, 14.5%, as its sibling. However, that’s about the only thing it shares in common. This is just spectacular Pinot Noir, with a DRC-like forest floor, black raspberry and blackberry nose, a deep ruby color and fabulous texture. Beet root and Asian spice give additional complexity to this generously endowed, fleshy, yet exceptionally complex and elegant Pinot Noir. This wine, along with the Chardonnay, gives me high hopes that they’ve got a special site on the Sonoma Coast and are on their way to much greater attention and acclaim.”

One little note being extrapolated to the entire wine. If I were a salesman, maybe I’d say that. Maybe. But as the customer, I find it a little too much.

you should get on the Selection Massale, Crush, Chambers Street, Weygandt Wine, & Passage de la Fleur, MCW, Sec, & many other lists then…the ones i listed feature mostly commentary about who the winemaker is, what their philosophy is, and why I should buy the wine.

Ain’t that the truth. [cheers.gif]