Do you know anything about spanish wines?

Agree the age / prior usage of the oak is as important as its origin. For me (excessive) new oak is the bigger red flag in a wine than American (v s French)

This. I am always confused when people describe wines showing obvious French oak influence as “traditional” Rioja, because the French oak barriques are a relatively new thing there and virtually all wines were traditionally aged in American oak.

Heredia’s wines are the quintessential examples of traditional Rioja: the wines are aged for exceptionally long times in 100% American oak, but they really don’t show any obvious American oak influence. LRA’s wine are on the more modern side of traditional: the wines are - or at least used to be - aged for a long time in American oak barrels, but a larger percentage of the barrels is new or less seasoned, so the more obvious vanilla influence of American oak shows through.

Re the dill factor, that’s from green American oak. At Ridge Paul was always searching for well seasoned American oak. One Midwestern cooperage was able to provide it for him until the demand for their whisky went though the roof and the owners made the cooperage use ‘Paul’s’ oak for their distilled spirit. Now there are several cooperages with properly seasoned American oak.

+1

Another thing that really confuses me when people smell American oak is how readily they describe it as “dill”. I’ve had some wines which show obvious green, herbal notes of dill and that’s both very distinctive and very different from a typical American oak notes. While I often find lots of American oak influence in Rioja reds, it’s quite rare I pick up any dill notes in them - even when many other who are smelling the same wine are describing the nose to have a “dill” aroma. Most often I’ve picked up dill notes in older California reds that have been aged in American oak. Occasionally in Rioja reds, but that’s rare.

I suppose one person’ s dill is another’s garrigue is another’s vegetal notes. Somewhere I have an article talking about the chemical component that gives oak its dill character. Maybe I should say ‘Godknowswhere’.

If we remember that parts of the USA were Spanish, we can see how American oak got shipped to Spain for many years and even though the political facts changed, folks kept buying the American oak. Easy to ship!! There is still a big business of selling stave wood --from several countries–to the Spanish to the 50+ cooperages there.