Do you enjoy blind tastings? Most funny blind calls on the wine?

Don’t worry, this thread has been on my radar since its inception. :wink:

Well, taking into account how I taste blind on an almost weekly basis (occasionally even multiple times a week), I probably have seen everything imaginable when it comes to guessing blind wines.

But when blind tasting is something you do constantly, you stop remembering all those occasions. Sorry, don’t have any juicy tales to tell - at least right off the bat.

2 Likes

My partner serves me wine blind all the time from the three cases or so of daily drinkers we keep in the basement. A while back I got into a rut and three nights in a row I guessed the wine was a specific Barbera (it was nowhere close). On the fourth night, I stuck my nose in the glass and confidently declared “well, at least I know it’s not that Barbera!” It was, in fact, that Barbera.

5 Likes

Joined a friend’s birthday party which was all high end blinds, with one attendee mentioning a few times how good their wine was going to be. Later one, that attendee declined a blind flawed and unsavory. The Somm politely did the unblinding noting it was their wine and showing correct!

Most thought provoking blind for me was preferring to drink Wine A, while recognizing Wine B to objectively be the more ‘serious and probably more expensive’ wine… and struggling to justify paying more for Wine A – although it’s the wine I preferred to drink!

1 Like

I mean… you’re not wrong… :joy: joy: joy: joy:

A close friend (now sadly deceased) had a favorite parlor trick. He would split a magnum into two and put both in a blind lineup as separate wines. Frequently with champagne. It could get amusing.

4 Likes

My best call was not blind, but instead I called the rows it came from. It turned out that the producer had taken over the rows after a different producer retired. I was a club member of the latter producer.

3 Likes

For my 60th Birthday, I served our regular monthly blind tasting group a DM of 1997 La Chapelle in three separate bottles to avoid an argument over bottle variation. One had been decanted early in the morning into a 750 and then as much air as possible had been removed with a vacuvin. The second had been double decanted in the morning, with a violent shaking before pouring it into the second bottle. The third was wine that had just sat in the bottom of the DM until I poured it into an empty 750 just before serving. There is some dispute over whether anyone realized that it was even the same wine, but I don’t think so.

Then there was the time that one of the regular denizens of this BB who only likes ancient cabernet and other AFWE type wines and assorted Muscadet de Sevre et Main loved a blind 2002 Termanthia.

Then there was the time I thought that a wine was very weak and had no flavor at all. It was suggested that I try the wine again, but when I did, I said it did nothing for me because it had no flavor. 2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard.

Then there was the blind wine that D’Bags brought to a dinner at PDH. He later explained that it was given to him by someone else in his office and he didn’t know what to do with it so he brought it to a Saxum dinner. Everyone at the table guessed pinot noir and it was not terrible, but no one guessed that it was from Bolivia!

3 Likes

And I once said “2004 Aubert Lauren Chardonnay” without even smelling the aroma. “That’s impossible. How did you do that?” They shouted. It was a bit cloudy with a very slight green hue. was wrong. It was 2004 Marcassin. I’ve been told that the vineyards are across the street from each other.

1 Like

That’s Leroy :slight_smile:

Worst: Too many to remember… a repeating blunder is mixing 09/10s Bdxs in verticals (happened for the 16/18 pair once too, which is even worse).

Best: In a double blind tasting, in a lineup without theme and no other bottle even coming from Italy, identifying a red correctly as an Emidio Pepe (to be fair I said “Pepe or Valentini”) despite never tasting a single Montepuliciano red, let alone a Pepe or Valentini before.

2 Likes

– my best moment tasting blindly came in the cellar with Bruno Clair in Marsannay some twentycouple years ago,
where he poured me a Grand Cru (i think it was Clos de Bèze) and asked me to indentify the vintage –

which i did correctly as coming from the underappreciated 1991

when in doubt just guess Chateauneuf-Du Pape

2 Likes

That’s funny. My worst call was saying a 2004 DRC Echezeaux was a 70’s California pinot. In my defense, we were in Dallas eating spicy bbq and I did nail the variety!

Best was calling 1967 Volnay Santenots blind at Remoissenet.

2 Likes

Patricia Green blueberry wine blinded was noted to have a strong blueberry note but was called many things including Arnoux Suchots.

5 Likes

A fun aspect of blind tasting is that people tend to remember the hits but not the misses. I’ve had many truly laughable misses, but none as fun as some correct guesses. Here is my favorite.

About 25 years ago when Austrian wines were first really coming into the market, a crotchety older member of my regular tasting group plonked down a foil-wrapped bottle and announced that he would give $50 to anyone who could correctly ID the bottle. I’d been drinking a lot of Austrian whites and quickly concluded that it was an Austrian Riesling. Just a few days earlier I’d browsed the shelves of a store frequented by many in the group and had seen that they had just received some 1998 Bründlmayer Riesling Zöbinger Heiligenstein, so I confidently announced that was the wine. My friend’s jaw dropped and he muttered something unpleasant under his breath as he removed the foil to confirm my ID. He passed away a couple of years ago still owing me the $50, but the value of the story far outweighs the value of the money.

6 Likes

Excellent idea!

In a similar vein, in my brown-bag group, ten years or so ago, two of us bought the same Willi Schaeffer Kabinett. Both bottles were purchased at Crush that week, within a day of each other, so they were almost certainly from the same lot and probably the same case. We tasted them back to back and no one guessed they were the same wine (except me, who served mine second). They were utterly different.

Go figure.

1 Like

Such satisfaction!

Some years back, I invited a guest to my brown-bag group. He strode confidently into my kitchen with his wrapped bottle and said, “There’s no way anyone will guess this wine.”

Then he looked up and his jaw dropped. There among a line of empty bottles was a 2001 Luis Pato - Bairrada- Vigna Pan – the very wine he’d brought. He told me that was his wine, so I had to remain mum during the tasting.

2 Likes

I’ve done the split a magnum trick a couple of times. One of the times I served the two halves side-by-side, and nobody figured it out.

I’ve had my fair share of embarrassing misses, including guessing that a Donnhoff GG was a Loire Chenin, which given the sheer amount of Donnhoff I drink, and my general dislike of Chenin is pretty bad.

1 Like

Yes - blind tastings are my favorite and tend to be very humbling. In front of a bunch of wine geeks that I had never met before I called out a Volnay. And of course there was the time I couldn’t tell a tempranillo, a syrah (northern rhone), or a sangiovese apart.

Love this - I learned a long time ago that if they taste really similar just say so. “I can’t tell the difference.”

reminds me of a really sneaky trick i played on the head of the Austrian Wine Marketing Board…
we were having dinner in Manhattan, and i had two bottles wrapped in tinfoil that i had poured for us
told the chap that one was St Julien and the other was Sonoma – could he tell which was which,
and any guesses?
couple guesses before i revealed that both were from Burgenland –
the St Julien was a 1999 Kollwentz Steinzeiler
and Sonoma was 1999 Paul Achs Ungerberg –
both cuvées, both primarily Austria’s indigenous Blaufränkisch…