Do you eat grapes?

Between me and the grand kids, we eat a # or so a day. We won’t even talk about bananas. [snort.gif]
I like the red which I think used to be called Flame Tokay with a good bit of acid.

Low acid grapes? Do you eat them with pain grille?

I will eat the ocassional white and purple table grapes…i like that you can just grab a few when ever walking by them on the kitchen counter.

Uh, yeah.

Funny! You and a few other winemakers.

Is it true what “they” say about wine grapes tasting great (sweet enough) for the table, then they’re too ripe for table wine?

RT

We have a bowl full on our counter as long as they are available. Lately they haven’t been all that great but earlier in the season they were delicious. Red and white. What seems to be available now are all the manufactured grapes with low juice levels, hard flesh and fake sweetness. Love me a tart juicy table grape.

Actually, wine grapes picked for wine are sweeter than table grapes. The latter tend to be picked around 10 to 15 Brix. Wine grapes also tend to be much smaller with thicker skins and less flesh compared to the size of the seeds, and also higher acidity levels (eating a bunch of them can be like eating a green apple). They do taste good, though.

-Al

Can’t stand most table grapes, and really dislike Concord grapes. They’re usually just too sweet - except for melons, I like sour fruits like strawberries, raspberries, citrus, pineapple, and some apples. For the same reason, I don’t really care much for peaches and most plums, but I do love those things for baking. I can’t remember a single time in my life when I bought grapes to eat.

In a vineyard, I have liked some white grapes - Sauv Blanc in particular, but also Furmint and Pinot blanc, but I wouldn’t go out and buy some to eat.

OTOH, I do love raisins.

Funny! You and a few other winemakers.

Walking through a vineyard during harvest in Portugal, the winemaker pointed out a particular vine. “That’s the vine all the pickers know have the best grapes for eating. The bunches don’t make it to the wine vats.”

Because I’m just off the season’s first harvest and it’s fresh in my mind:

Took my Flame Tokay this weekend. As you know, almost no plantings of these left in Lodi anymore. But this particular farmer grows a huge variety of grapes and he had the Tokay’s seedless relative, the Flame Seedless, growing right next to his dwindling Tokay’s. So had the opportunity to taste them side by side. Not even in the same ballpark - the Tokay’s so much more flavorful and complex. The seedless really are quite uninteresting compared.

Only seedless grapes and I must be feed while I lay on my sofa.

This is grape eating season and I really love red Muscat grapes… September October delight… so tasty

I refuse to take my wine in pill form.

Only if they have alcohol in them.

We get Muscat grapes from Chile that have no seeds and are really wonderful tasting. Much more flavor than other table grapes. They generally get to Whole Foods around here sometime in later winter and, unfortunately, are not around for much more than a month to month and a half.

For eating, I think grapes with seeds are far superior.

Best taken directly from the vine.

Just picked up a basket of scuppernong grapes to snack on. It is an indigenous variety to eastern NC and is in the muscadine family. Large, very thick skinned and juicy with each grape have one or two large seeds. I look forward to the brief season each year.

Interesting bit of trivia. The scuppernong had been grown by local Indians long before Europeans arrived. There is a vine in Manteo NC called the Mother Vine that is over 400 years old and is the oldest cultivated vine in the US.

Does anyone remember when all fruit had seeds?

Yep, back when you had to pay a nickel for a toilet stall. And we liked it. Seriously, there may have been seedless grapes in the grocery stores back in the 60s but I don’t recall ever seeing them.

I eat them professionally. My son recreationally.
DFA071C7-33D9-40F7-A42C-468FF29B0722.jpeg