Do You Buy Champagne In Half Bottles?

Not sure why people wouldn’t try cellaring the 375s.

I have to mixed results.

I have cellared numerous bottles and they’ve almost all been good. I drink a lot of champagne from 375, have probably drank 100 bottles of GC in halves.

I’ve found that the bottles need a couple years to lose the sharp acidity. 167 is drinking well right now. 168 still taste a bit young although they’re starting to ease into form. 166 and 167 were undrinkable when they were released.

big ooof, but not surprising. and to be clear, i’m not singling out krug for their performance in this format. i don’t think any champagne can show even a good fraction of its potential in a half. but krug in particular since they take such great care to showcase their wines and craft - to me - a superlative champagne with their GC.

magnums achieve full potential
bottles, 90% at best
375s far, far below.

i just don’t see the point, at all.

You can actually drink the 375 sometime soon… 164 looks like it’ll need 10-15 years in mag, minimum, maybe 20. I drink a lot of Krug and if they didn’t make half bottles would definitely purchase much less. I might be down to 24 164 375s now. By the time I’m done with them hopefully 750 start to drink well. We’re 13 years out from the base year for a nv.

I don’t anymore. There’s no point. Laura and I would always need to open another one.

1 Like

What surprises me about your experience is that one of them tasted like Krug. What could have accounted for that?

totally get it. you should be buying double-mags for the grandkid anway.

I loved the Krug 167 in half bottles.

Yes. Perfect for camping.

Cheers,
Doug

I’ve had maybe three Krug 375s and they were all really good.

But I ordered six Bollinger Special Cuvée 375s and they’ve all been disappointing. Lacking freshness, maybe a touch of earliest oxidation.

Of course being Bollinger SC there’s no way to know how old they are either.

I get all the bluster about how you want a whole bottle, and that’s often true, but there are times for a 375 if you can get a decent one. And I personally find champagne is often diminished (for my tastes) on day two.

Winston Churchill apparently said that once; they used to bottle Champagne in Imperial Pints, which is a bit more than 500ml, which he felt were perfect. For lunch.

No. 750s seem to be gone too quickly as it is.

Never…pricing is atrocious and I really think the smaller size affects the wines quality and ability to maintain consistency.

I’ve had good luck with Delamotte, both Brut and Blanc de Blancs.

We’ve opened a number of Krug 168 and 169 375ml and have a few more in the cellar (I believe 169). Haven’t had any issues with the 3 we’ve consumed so far. YMMV.