Do super collectible Italian Whites exist?

RE Pieropan, about fifteen years ago I was at Josie’s (very good game centric joint near here) with some friends enjoying a bottle of the La Rocca with the cuttle fish when Italian wine freak / musician Gerry Casale (now back touring with DEVO but then working at The Wine House to make ends meet) walked over from the back room to say hello and nailed the wine from the AROMA wafting out of the glasses. (bottle was already trashed).

THAT is a distinctive wine!

1st it was called “Where Dreams have No End” … (must have been in the early 90ies) …
later “Were Dream, Now it´s just Wine” …

Excellent Chardonnay-based white, very impressive then, but not retasted since, and no idea if a “Collectable”

Amazing what sneaks in between the dick and fart jokes. :wink:

I like Were Dreams, but prefer Jermann’s Vintage Tunina (named after one of Casanova’s lovers), which is a field blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Ribolla Gialla, Malvasia Istriana and Picolit. I just had a 2002 Vintage Tunina, and it was lovely, which illustrates that the wine can handle some age.

BTW, probably in the category of way too much information, from Jermann’s website about Were Dreams:

Dedicated to U2′s “The Joshua Tree” album (1987) and specifically to the song “Where the streets have no name”.

This wine was created with the 1987 harvest and over the years its name has undergone a number of variations. For its first nine years it was called “Where the Dreams have no end…” and it changed the colour of its capsule with every vintage, cycling through the seven colours of the iris (plus white and black) on the label, beginning with white and progressing anticlockwise. The four phases of the moon were also shown.

In 1996 it became “Were Dreams, now it is just wine!”, with a blue capsule bearing a stylised Comet Hale-Bopp. It continued in this livery for another seven years.

Finally in 2003 we returned to our roots somewhat with: “W…. Dreams ………”, adding the year of harvest below and drawing Mars on the capsule. And the dot-dot-dot in the name? Our interpretation of the full name is “Where Dreams can happen”, but everyone can bring their own interpretation to it.

Interesting fact: The “Where the Dreams have no end…” label was used in the hit Disney film “The Parent Trap” (1998), directed by Nancy Meyers and starring Natasha Richardson, Dennis Quaid and Lindsay Lohan (twice, playing twins).

Large format bottles of Were Dreams have hand-painted labels.

Gravner…it’s possible I would confuse this as a red wine if tasted eyes closed…cool stuff

I seem to remember that the name change and then the use of … on the Dreams label was the result of a trademark lawsuit.

Italian whites are nearly impossible to sell at auction.

Try Marisa Cuomo Fiorduva. It is really pretty special

Look up Frasca’s wine list in Boulder CO. They have most of the “collectible” whites from Northern Italy. A nice list for sure.

I am not sure what ‘collectible’ means, exactly, but if the question is ‘are there intensely flavored, distinctive Italian white wines’ the answer is yes. I agree with many of the suggestions here, and I agree with Roberto about Campania whites; both Greco and Fiano can produce white wines of extraordinary class in the volcanic soils that are typical in the area.

I am going to try this.
I am going to Maialino and they have the 09 by the glass.

2010 Vallée d’Aoste DOC “Blanc de Morgex et de la Salle”, Azienda Ermes Pavese. 100% Prié Blanc from ungrafted vines, growing in the highest elevation viticultural area in Europe (1200+ m). Magical stuff.

Preach it Brother Bob! That stuff is insane…

I have been meaning to try some of this. Haven’t gotten around to it but have read and heard wonderful things:

Fiorano Semillon