Do Rieslings premox?

I think the question pre-supposed some sort of actual closure.

I don’t buy GG or trocken wines (other than Trockenberenauslesen) and have not had any premoxed German wines although I have had corked wines.

Whether an oxidized white is “prematurely” oxidized or not is ultimately subjective. Anyway, I was just sharing one data point in the discussion, not making any broad conclusions or criticism. As far as I can tell, Riesling is very good at resisting oxidation overall.

Riesling oxidises, so does Semillon and Chenin, in fact anything with a cork is susceptible. I suspect there is far more oxidation in reds too than most people think. Because of colour people make excuses, like it is dumb not showing well right now. I had a 2004 Cavallotto Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe last week that was completely shot. Very nutty and chocolatey. Pulled another bottle from the same case and it was wonderful… fresh and detailed. The cork had failed and first bottle was prematurely oxidised.

Back to whites. We had massive problems in Australia in the 90’s with Riesling and Semillon in particular. Early 2000’s, the industry moved to screwcap en masse. Surprise surprise…zero premox problems now.

Sweet and/or dry rieslings?

Yes John. Sweet and dry. Plenty of botrytis wines were advancing way too quickly.

Everyone else beat me to it but I had a distressing number of premoxed 95-98 Trimbach. What makes it worse is that the good bottles were so very, very good.

Premox in CSH started in 1994, though it got worse in 1996, and it’s still not clear to me they’ve fixed the problem. They didn’t even acknowledge it until 2-3 years ago.

In CFE it does seem to be a ~1996-2001 issue.

I seem to be doing this, yes, and am blissfully unaware of issues with premox in Alsatian Rieslings of the same sort encountered in Burgundian Chardonnays. Went totally by me. My bad.

While I had oxidized Rieslings (mostly German dry Riesling, but that’s a bias due to my drinking habits), I never encountered premox’ed Rieslings that resembled premox’ed white burgs. Not even close. Bad closures, e.g. plastic stoppers or highly variable (aka “natural”) corks, do lead to damaged wine, sure, but closure malfunctions haven’t to do with the classical premox. At least I doubt that Dijon University would have bothered with a substantial research effort if premox had been traceable to abnormally high oxygen intake via bad closures and/or inappropriate SO2 levels.

Cheers,
HPE

I am so priced out of CSH that I have no idea what’s happened post 2001.