Distinctive Malbec from the New World?

A few years ago we tried and purchased the Malbec made by Rockpile Ridge Winery. Fantastic stuff! I assume now the fruit is being sold to Devil Proof Vineyards and the wine is priced well beyond what I am willing to pay.

Jim, I’ve never actually had a French Malbec before. What are some of the ones that you enjoyed?

A lot of good recommendations here. One I don’t see is Chappellet’s offering. Their Malbec is one of the few I will actually buy when I see it. The labels are unique as it’s one of the family member’s personal drawings each year.

Well, there’s Clos Roche Blanche Cot (Malbec), but that’s not really available any more (winemaker retired). I think there are a few other wines from the Dressner portfolio that incorporate at least some Cot, such as Clos du Tue-Boeuf. Cahors as a region in France makes alot of Cot as well: French Malbec and wines of Cahors: The original - TaylorEason.com.

Chateau de Haute-Serre is a good producer from Cahors, relatively easier to obtain in the USA.

Some of the very best, most distinctive Malbecs come from Catena Zapata in Argentina. Especially their single vineyard bottlings with the favorite being “Mundus Bacillus Terrae” which unfortunately costs roughly 200 dollars per bottle.

I agree, Catena Zapata is a very consistent and good producer.

A quite distinctive new world malbec producer is Bodegas Noemia de Patagonia. From the extreme climates of Patagonia. I’ve had the J. Alberto bottling (around $40?) and it’s very good, with more terroir and character than typical new world malbec.

How is post number 28 the first to mention Archival Ferrer Malbec’s???

Try Calluna’s Malbec from Chalk Hill. It made me want to explore Malbec more

Ladera is the best domestic Malbec I’ve tasted. Not sure if they bottled a pure Malbec following the 2015 vintage and subsequent sale of the property to Cade.