Dishwasher rinse aid

One of the factors is how dirty the glass is initially. If it had been immediately rinsed after use, then hand wash is easy. But if wine dregs have been allowed to dry on I reckon that dishwasher is preferred for a proper clean and less risk of breakage than trying to run a cloth round the inside of the bowl.

I use it because my dishwasher gets cranky if I donā€™t, threatens to add time to the cycle, etc. Glasses come out fine but I dont think I actually need it with our water.

Our Miele has a water softener (salt reservoir) and rinse aid. I use both, along with the Miele detergent tabs. Never had a problem with odor or residue, with the exception of if a concave base collects water that wonā€™t drain and it dries to a spot before I get to it with a towel. Since our dishwasher opens the door when the cycle is done to aid with drying, even that happens very rarely. I generally only put the Zaltos in the machine, though. Iā€™m sure the Riedel Somms would survive too, but the stems are so long that they donā€™t really fit well, except for the shorter Hermitage stems.

I donā€™t understand your concern. Iā€™m using fragrant free detergent and rinse aid and wash all my Zaltos, including decanters in the dishwasher. I have never had issues or broken a glass, but I broke tons of them washing by hand and got water spots all the time. IMO, hand washing is inferior in every way and requires more work.

It sounds like we have a similar machine. I do put the Riedel Somms in. If your machine is like ours, you can raise the middle basket to give more height to the lower. I will say I made the mistake of not checking if we had lowered or not the middle basket, and broke a Riedel Somm when I slid the bottom basket back in. I will not make that mistake again!

We do use the Rinse Aid in the Miele. More because when it is empty we get a warning. I have not tried with and without, so not sure how much of a difference it makes. But I now do all of my glasses in the dishwasher ā€“ never had a problem with odors. No spotting at all, which I would regularly get with handwashing, and with handwashing I sometimes was less good at cleaning the inside and bottom of the inside of the glass. With the dishwasher they come out as clean as new. So we use Riedels, as well as Grassl. Never had a problem with breakage except if there was user error as recounted above.

I donā€™t understand your concern. Iā€™m using fragrant free detergent and rinse aid and wash all my Zaltos, including decanters in the dishwasher. I have never had issues or broken a glass, but I broke tons of them washing by hand and got water spots all the time. IMO, hand washing is inferior in every way and requires more work.

I am not concerned.

I personally would not trust my dishwasher to wash any glasses. I would rather hand wash them as it takes 2 seconds for me to do so. When I used to do big wine tastings I would wash 300 by hand so I am used to doing them by hand. I had a venue dish wash mine and broke a bunch years ago.

Anyone who trusts themselves to wash glasses by hand more than they trust a dish washer has steadier hands than I.

For several years I have exclusively washed all of our glasses in the dishwasher. The broken or damage glass count is exactly zero. Which is measurably lower than the broken glass count when I have done it by hand. If you like doing it by hand, more power to you, but Iā€™m here to tell you that the dishwasher does a great job and does not cause any issues.

1 Like

We use Cascade or store brand rinse aid in our Miele and weā€™ve never noticed a problem.

No issues with my Thermador (rebranded Bosch) and Finish Jet Dry

What is the issue with washing Waterford crystal in the d/w? Weā€™ve been doing it forever, although they are not the best wine glasses for fine wine consumptionā€¦

I may be wrong about Waterford, they were a gift. They predate ā€œdishwasher safeā€ and I just dont want to run the risk. They are quite heavy and I have it in the back of my mind thats more of an issue with drying heat, not sure where I got that idea. Ill upload a pic later if I can figure out how. They are not a bad shape for ā€˜good claretā€™ that sort of thing. Edinburgh ā€¦ are champagne glasses. and tho others are highball or whatever

If you see some residue on glassware, it can also be an indication that youā€™re using too much detergent. I usually add a healthy glug of white vinegar to the bottom of my dishwasher before running. You can fill the rinse aid with white vin, too. It does not leave an odor but does help decrease any build up/residue on glass and plastic.

Many moons ago, a Miele tech told me 1) when you add vinegar, wait about 7 minutes after you start the cycle, to allow the remaining liquid at the bottom to drain out, and then for the initial fill to complete, and 2) never use liquid detergent, as it can eat away the door gasket.

Also, we use Seventh Generation powder and rinse aid, as well as dw salt. No spots, no odors.

Anyone who trusts themselves to wash glasses by hand more than they trust a dish washer has steadier hands than I.

The only glass I have ever had issues with is Riedel Somm. You look at it and it will break. I bought six Restaurant Riedel Somms and they are indestructible.

I usually hand wash with a soft bristle brush to avoid reaching into a glass with a cloth or sponge.

Iā€™ve been washing all my wine glasses, including Riedel Sommeliers, for the last 30 years in an old GE dishwasher in my basement. Came with the house, and proved to have excellent glass capacity ā€“ can wash up to 24 glasses at a time, depending on which glasses weā€™re talking about. I have it plumbed for hot water only, and add just a sprinkle of Cascade in the pre-rinse cycle, then a very small amount of Finish rinse aid in the cup that would otherwise have regular detergent.

I never have streaking, and there is no buildup on the glass over time (some of the glasses have in fact been in use during the entirety of those 30 years). I do time the cycle so that Iā€™m hand-drying the glasses when they still have some water on them. Otherwise there would be water spots.

As others have mentioned, dishwashers never break glasses (at least mine hasnā€™t) and hand washers sometimes break glasses. I do have to check the rims of the glasses to make sure that lipstick or food residue has been completely removed. Occasionally I have to remove those things with soap steel wool pads, and another hand rinse and dry, but not a big inconvenience.

As long as the towels I use to dry the glasses are odor-free, I have no problems with odors in the glasses.