Dinner Welcoming Rob Back to ATL

Rob Klafter took a job back in ATL after a few years in NYC. We were glad to entertain him at Aria last night.
It was so good to see him. Great group of guys and wonderful wines. Food wasn’t bad either.

Whites

2001 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles

The nose is intoxicating. Ripe yellow fruit wrapped in that earthy envelope. Early adulthood. The palate here shows lots of firm minerals and yellow fruit. Long in the mouth. I loved this.

2009 Henri Boillot Criots-Batard Montrachet

This kept evolving and opening like an onion. Each layer was more interesting. Rich whiter fruit here. Great richness of fruit but nice acidity. Incredible length. The balance is special here. Absolutely fantastic!

Red Burgundies

1985 Prince de Merode Pommard Clos des la Platieres

Corked!!!

1986 DRC Echezeaux

The nose is an absolute knockout. Ethereal. Floral notes with intense notes of red fruit. Intoxicating! Peacock tail complexity. The palate is very structured with acid. It unwinds and gains volume with aeration. Red fruit. Long finish that gains steam with time. This is stunning for the year.

1993 Faiveley Latricieres- Chambertin
The nose is darker red fruit and minerals to me. The palate is structured still. Lots of red fruit that is laced with a steely mineral matrix. Grand cru finish.

2001 Chezeaux Griottes Chambertin

This one starts out with a B-vitamin type of chemical nose that quickly blows off into intense red cherries. Lots of them too. The palate is so sexy. Tart “griotte” type cherries that finish with intensity. Grand cru finish. Fabulous!

Italians

1996 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto Riserva
Decanted for hours. The nose is tar and roses. The palate is so intense. Amazing depth and length to this one. Darker fruit. Involving wine that takes you to another place. So young and so good! Profound. Thanks Rob!

1990 Zenato Amarone
Rich ripe red fruit that is sweet. Great acidity. Raisin notes. Beautiful with dessert. A special treat.

A tremendous night. Thanks for being the reason Rob Klafter. Welcome back to Atlanta!

Thank You!

for organizing and welcoming me.

Great group of guys.

A pleasure all around

Looking forward to many more bottles together

That would be 1990 Zenato Amarone

I have not had many of the great “monumental” Barolos but that 1996 Giacosa Riserva has to be in the running for this title. Still on a glacial path to maturity. Starting to come out of its shell. No expert on this but suspect has years to go before “mature”

Tx Rob. Hope to drink many more bottles with you

Rob, no Riesling? Maybe you should educate these guys. :wink:

Rob - It’s been a while. Have not seen you since - I think - a fine wine dinner at Canoe back when. Welcome back to Atlanta.