Dig through this wine list challenge.

Thanks for that, I noticed the “deal” but thought with the Turley hand it might be a bit much for the food. Good to hear it’s lighter styled, Nice to have a red option.
And 1.5x retail is not insane at this joint on the Soave and I wouldn’t have caught that.

Brett averse here

MONCHHOF ÜRZINGER WÜRZGARTEN, RIESLING, KABINETT, MOSEL, GERMANY 2015 60

DOMAINE COMTE D’ABBATUCCI, AJACCIO ‘FAUSTINE’ VIEILLES VIGNES, NIELLUCIU & SCIACCARELU, CORSICA, FRA 2014 75
DOMAINE DE L’ CÔTES CATALANES HORIZON, SYRAH & CARIGNAN, LANGUEDOC, FRANCE 2015 70
DOMAINE GRAMENON POIGNEE DE RAISINS, SYRAH BLEND, CÔTES DU RHÔNE, FRANCE 2016 70

VINCENT CAREME LES CLOS DEMI-SEC, VOUVRAY 2010 100
GERMAIN THIERRY, SAUMUR BLANC, ‘L’INSOLITE’ 2015 100
GERMAIN THIERRY, SAUMUR BLANC, ‘CLOS DE L’ECOTARD’ 2015 100 !!! This

JEAN-PHILIPPE FICHET 'GRUYACHES’LIEU-DIT 2013 150
COMTESSE BERNARD DE CHERISEY, MEURSAULT-BLAGNY, ‘LA GENELOTTE’ 2010 200
PRAGER WACHSTUM BODENSTEIN, SMARAGD, WACHAU 2012 145
WEISER-KUNSTLER ‘ENKIRCHER STEFFENSBERG’ 2014 70
JB BECKER ‘HALBTROCKEN WALLUFER OBERBERG’ KABINETT 2015 65
JB BECKER ‘WALLUFER WALKENBERG’ SPÄTLESE TROCKEN 2002 Magnum 200 !!!

MANNI NÖSSING, KERNER, ALTO ADIGE VALLE ISARCO EISACKTALER, 2015 70
DOMIANE DE L’HORIZON, ‘CÔTES CATALANES L’ESPRIT DE L’HORIZON’ 2015 90
EDMOND CORNU & FILS ‘LES CARRIERES’ 2009 110

DOMAINE LIONNET TERRE BRULÉE 2005 140
DOMAINE LIONNET TERRE BRULÉE 2008 115

PAOLO BEA ‘ROSSO DE VEO’ 2009 145
HEWITSON OLD GARDEN, MOUVEDRE, BAROSSA VALLEY 2013 150

I missed those Roches Neuves Nathan, nice find!

+1 to this.

Or beer, as others have said.

I would buy the 2017 PAOLO SCAVINO BIANCO SORISSO for a variety of reasons. I was at Scavino in late October 2017 and I tried the 2016 and I really liked it. 2017 was a very difficult year because there was NO rain for four months. Not very little rain, but no rain. The guy at Cavalotto told us that their records going back 100 years showed that they had picked two weeks earlier than they had ever picked before. This made it a really bad year for truffles, but it should mean a very good year for wine because of low production and stress. Also, the wine is not too expensive, so it’s not a crushing defeat if it is not to your liking. AND the blend is weirdly interesting, giving it complexity. I have had a number of Sauvignon Blanc/Viognier blends and I think the two varieties play off well against each other.

I’d want simple and refreshing with gumbo. Marsannay Rose sounds just fine.

I had Waris-Hubert last October and it was nice but it was their BdN.

Here is some info from the importer.

That’s not bad for a restaurant price for the Abbatucci, which might not be a bad match if you wanted red, but still would lean toward the roses or the Monchhof

Before reading the list, my first thoughts went to Riesling and Chenin Blanc - richer wine with some sugar to balance the heat. So, I like Nathan’s list. I like the idea of the Saumur Blanc a lot.

Ruinart BdB is $135 which is a very fair restaurant price.

The best “bargain” is the '93 Rousseau Chambertin which at $3318 is well below current auction prices.

Two People

4 x $50 = 200
WINES BY THE GLASS, Dom Pérignon, Brut Cuvée, Épernay, Champagne, France 2006 $50

$80 + $120 = $200
HALF BOTTLE WHITE, F.X. PICHLER, RIESLING ‘LOIBNER LOIBENBERG’ SMARAGD, WACHAU, AUSTRIA 2011 $80
HALF BOTTLE SELECTIONS, BILLECART-SALMON, BRUT ROSÉ, MARUEIL-SUR-AŸ, FRANCE NV $120

375ml @ $225
GERMANY, MULLER CATOIR ‘HAARDTER BURGERGARTEN’ RIESLANER, BEERENAUSLESE, PFALZ 1998 Half Bottle $225

Four People

1500ml @ $230
MOSEL (continued), JOH. JOS. PRÜM ‘WEHLENER SONNENUHR’ KABINETT 2015 Magnum $230

Single Bottles

WHITES
[some significant prem-ox risks here, but presumably that’s on the house]

CHENIN BLANC, DOMAINE HUET ‘CLOS DU BOURG’ VOUVRAY, MOELLEUX PREMIERE TRIE 2002 $185
CHENIN BLANC, DOMAINE HUET ‘LE HAUT-LIEU’ DEMI-SEC, VOUVRAY 1985 $225
CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET, DOMAINE JACQUES CARILLON ‘LES MACHERELLES’ 2011 $225
MEURSAULT, PIERRE MATROT ‘PERRIERES’ 2011 $245
MEURSAULT, PIERRE MATROT ‘PERRIERES’ 2010 $205
PULIGNY-MONTRACHET, FRANCIOS CARILLON LES FOLATIÈRES 2012 $200
SAINT-AUBIN DOMAINE MEO-CAMUZET FRÈRES ET SOEURS 2016 $200
GRUNER VELTLINER, F.X. PICHLER M, SMARAGD, WACHAU 2010 $180

REDS

CABERNET FRANC, LOIRE, CLOS ROUGEARD ‘LE BOURG’, SAUMUR CHAMPIGNY 2010 $275
RIOJA, MARQUES DE CACERES GRAN RESERVA 1987 $300
BAROLO, ENZO BOGLIETTI ARIONE 2010 $220
BAROLO, ENZO BOGLIETTI CASA NERE 2010 $200
BAROLO, BORGOGNO RISERVA 2000 $240
BAROLO, GIANFRANCO BOVIO VIGNA GATTERA 2005 $150
BAROLO, ELVIO COGNO 2010 $195
BAROLO, ROAGNA PIRA 2010 $175
UMBRIA, PAOLO BEA ‘SAGRANTINO SECCO VIGNA PAGLIARO’ MONTEFALCO ROSSO 2010 $200

Thanks for the data point, looks like maybe a solid sustainable grower producer.

Thanks for the continued recommendations all. There are certainly many more options than my original glance would have ever hoped for. As obscene as some lists can be, our collective can always seem to find some nice options even if not the hidden gem.

I don’t know about the pairing but $50 for the Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir 2013 would do the trick for me.

One of NZs best Pinot Noirs from a good vintage at a price not much above retail.

Also probably something you haven’t had before and spend the savings on something else.

I’d get the $45. Drie Fontenin Gueze.
Tasty beer with gumbo.

If the proprietors of the restaurant stumble upon this thread, here are two labels I’ve tasted recently which would be wonderful matches to most gumbo recipes:

Margreid “Sirmian” Pinot Bianco
Pepiere Muscadet Sevre et Maine “Gorges”

Rosé or Abita.

I have bought that for as little as $18. $65 is almost 4 times that price. This is outright gauging. pileon

I would very much like to know who is selling Calvarino for $18 - could you post?
Best, Jim

I think he meant the Turley, but They both look like $25ish + dollar wines. Never mind in Ohio that would translate to $33-35+ assuming I could even find it. I really don’t think asking to make $35 off a bottle of wine is that awful on a lower end wine though. Would I prefer it a little better, sure but I’m not going to let the extra $10 bucks dictate my day when I’m on vacation. When 2.5x retail starts to irk me is off the $100 (or more) bottle, then all the sudden they are asking to make $150 dollars off me and my irritation threshold factor escalates quickly.