Determining flawed/bad/corked wine directly from restaurant cellar

Sometimes wineries use agglomerated corks, and sometimes batches of agglomerated cork are ALL slightly corked.

(The only agglomerated cork that we now accept is Diam.)

Durpr

I’m surprised by the low TCA percentages given by people who say they’re sensitive. In my experience only 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottles impacted by the TCA have a wet cardboard smell.

Or often it’s a very flat wine with a clipped finish that you only know is off because you’ve had the bottle a few times before. The very clipped finish is what gives it away to me.

I havent had many problems with returning corked glasses or bottles or wine, except as noted earlier where its a restaurant that doesnt have a somm. Usually its ok, but at one place in Spain, I let others drink it and ordered another bottle. For an $18 euro wine, it wasnt worth the hassle sending back. The folks I were with didnt notice.

The most interesting was a bottle of 2000 Duval-Leroy Femme de Champagne we got at a Michelin 3 star in France. It was definitely not showing correctly… flat and dull with a chemical note; but all the somms (they had multiple) disagreed and we had a rather lengthy discussion. They agreed to take it back and we got something else. I’ve had that wine subsequently and it showed much differently, so I don’t know if they were trying to save money, or they honestly thought it was correct.