Del Posto Selling Off Wine Cellar - Auction

The white truffle lunch at Babbo in the fall with wine pairing was one of the best meals in NYC if not the US for food and wine value. Remember having glasses of well aged Giacosa and Cappellano at reasonable prices.

We did an annual series of ancient Madeira tastings there a few years ago. We brought our own Madeira and they let us bring dozens of bottles of table wine for dinner afterwards. And these table wines were no slouches either.

Auction results

https://auction.hdhwine.com/auctions/1-2PUKUX/the-del-posto-collection-july-24-25?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=The+Del+Posto+Collection+Skyrockets+Over+High+Estimate%2C+Italian+Market+Sees+Fierce+Competition&utm_campaign=072720_auction_2007_results

Glad to see they did well.

Not on my list, after everything I tasted had way too much salt. Found that to be typical of all Batali’s restaurants.

2012 richebourg for 2k, not bad

When dining out, or even ordering carry-out, I always specific low-salt preparations.

Champagne prices were generally reasonable.

Out of my league.

Some quick facts:

• 3% of lots went under the low estimate
  • 48% went in the estimate range
  • 49% went over the high estimate

Of those over the high:
5% went for 2x or more of the high est
45% went for 25% to 100% more than the high
50% were over the high by less than 25%

Of those going for 2x or more (89 lots):
10 were Stella (50% of the Stella lots)
8 were Burlotto (18% of the Burlotto lots)
8 were not Italian (that Rougeard was crazy)

All of these lots going way over estimate are, in many cases, the only trades listed on WMJ.

Mark-to-market cellar values are going to soar. Let the wealth effect begin

https://auction.hdhwine.com/lots/view/1-35BFFA/champagne-bereche-et-fils-brut-reserve

This sold for $800/12. Isn’t this wine available retail now for $660/12?

And by $800 you really mean $956 (19.5% buyers premium)

Wine Searcher Pro shows an average of $55 per bottle, but a lot of stores at $50.

I really think you’re looking at convenience factor for people for whom $200 is irrelevant.

Hilarious!
Thank you for clarification.

And I have no clue why someone bid up this particular case. I went to one Zachys auction (advertised for new auction goers) and I saw people bid without a sense of what the price should be. Like watching someone at a Blackjack table who’s never played and makes random moves. I generally find serious collectors to have a good sense of what the price should be and wouldn’t accept getting such a bad fill.

Agreed. When I saw that the wine was even offered as a lot I initially thought it was a misprint, or that I was confusing the wine for another Bereche bottling given what was paid for wine.

Interesting to contrast with the other blowouts (relative to estimate) that have very little market information given they aren’t really traded

That Bereche lot was one I was interested in. I was shocked when it went for $800. I can buy it locally for $51 per bottle. I even mentioned that lot to the gentleman at HDH when I picked my wine up today.