December 5 in San Francisco

Theme? I don’t care. I’ve got lots of California wine at home, so no need to focus on that.

1995 Verget Corton Charlemagne

We’re going with pre-2000 as a theme. I expect the group to mostly bring French because that’s what they usually bring :slight_smile:. Bring something festive.

I love les clos. Count me in if there’s room.

Old non-Cali. You want something weird? There are three of us so that means three bottles:

1. How about a 1979 “Y” from Yquem? I bought it about 8 years ago with another bottle from the 1980s. We opened that and kept the 1979 for shits and giggles.

2. 2000 Wendouree Shiraz Mataro. What? I thought you said French and pre-2000. First of all, 2000 Australian is 1999-1/2 in the northern Hemisphere, so close enough. AND it came here via London- four of us decided to corner the market so we bought every bottle available in Europe and had them shipped here.

3. ??? Anyone bringing dessert. How about a 1951 Dom Prieuré du Monastir del Camp Rivesaltes? That’s a mouthful and it’s a birth year wine.

BY THE WAY - can we get back from the restaurant to the Mission District where our hotel is located? It’s three miles away and we are three people, so walking 9 miles after a wine dinner is too much effort.

Jay, there’s Uber, or one of us will surely give you a ride

That Wendouree has my attention :slight_smile:

I have no idea what I might bring.

These all certainly sound fun and interesting. So sure! But just to be clear - weird, non-Cali, and French all not required. Just pre-2000. Or whatever!

Our goal at these wine dinners is to enjoy good company, food and wine (ok with an Berserker-esque emphasis on the wine). I try to bring wine that I feel like having, that everyone will enjoy, and that might be less appreciated by non-WBers. Your cellar sounds way more interesting than mine, so bring it on. I hope our choices don’t bore you!

Mmm… 1979 “Y” sounds like an experience. Would love to try it! The Wendouree sounds wonderful as well.

I’ll probably end up bringing california cab from the 1990s, but I haven’t decided which one yet. What do people think of a '95 Mondavi Reserve? I also have some aged Dunn or Peter Michael Les Pavots if people prefer.

I try to own only wine that I feel like having and I only bring wine that I own, so except for the four cases of sparkling Moscato that I got for $2.17 per bottle for an event I was organizing, we should be OK on this count.

You have obviously never shared with some of the members of our wine group. They don’t enjoy anything that might have any flavor.

That’s just because bringing coal to Newcastle seems like a bad plan. My cellar is 61.5% California.

Not to worry. There is no chance of that.

I’ve pulled a 99 Lagier Meredith Syrah, because I love the wine, and I think Jay we’ll really like it as well [cheers.gif]

The wines are in the belly of the beast . . . The JetBlue cargo hold. I have the “Y” the Wendouree and the Rivesaltas. We arrive this afternoon. Any good Chinese good in SF? I think I want Chinese tonight.

I’ve picked out a 1994 Phelps Insignia.

House of Nanking on Kearny
M.Y. China on Market
Yank Sing for dim sum but they are only open until 4pm

Ooh! Could be magnificent. I love the 1994 Cali Cabs.

Our wines all arrived OK. I will bring a Durand for the older bottles. See y’all tomorrow.

Sorry all - haven’t been feeling well since last night. Will have to pass tonight :frowning:

We’ll miss you Cindy! Feel better :slight_smile:

Coming in on Caltrain might be a few minutes late

Thanks everyone for coming out! It was great to see old friends and new ones. Literally every wine tonight was excellent and enjoyable. My apologies for coming late due to work, but I’m still glad I got to see everyone!

My notes (maybe a bit more rushed than usual…)
DINNER WITH JAY HACK - Les clos, San Francisco (12/5/2016)

• 1990 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
    Golden-orange color; wonderful nose with orange peel, some oxidation from age, wonderful complexity, brioche; palate is rich in texture but exquisitely clean and high acid throughout, tart lime, superb fruit; long finish. Superb, suberb champagne. 94-96 (96 pts.)
  • 1979 Lur-Saluces “Y” - France, Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur
    Orange-golden color; nose is exactly like a mature sauternes with dried apricot, orange peel, slight nuttiness, hugely aromatic; palate is rich bodied, perfectly dry, slight orange fruit, a bit simple and low acid, medium alcohol; medium finish. The nose alone is intoxicating and wonderful, but the palate doesn’t live up. A wonderful, interesting experience. 91-92 (91 pts.)
  • 1999 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder
    Nose has plenty of funk, Brett, meaty, red fruit; palate is medium bodied, youthful but integrating medium tannins, medium-plus wonderful acid; medium finish, very clean. Lovely wine overall, though the Brett intolerant may not like it as much. Interesting and easy to drink. 91-92 (91 pts.)
  • 1989 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Nose is rich, deep, iodine, bloody meat, slight spice; palate is medium-full bodied, rustic medium tannin, still good fruit; medium-long finish. Interesting wine, good structure. 92 (92 pts.)
  • 2000 Wendouree Shiraz - Mataro - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley
    Beautiful nose with red fruit, wonderful spice throughout; palate is medium bodied, wonderful concentration of red fruit, spice, medium tannin, medium acidity; medium-long finish. Superbly balanced, easy to drink, very, very nice. Still quite youthful. 92-94 (93 pts.)
  • 1995 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Bosconia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
    This is my second time tasting this and it is silly good. Hugely aromatic nose with plenty of red fruit, spice, slight vegetal, almost difficult to describe properly; palate is superbly balanced, medium tannin, very complex. Superb. 96+ (96 pts.)
  • 1982 Château La Dominique - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Nice nose with leather, spice, nice complexity on the nose; palate is medium bodied, integrated tannin, good remaining fruit but mature,medium finish. Very nice classic Bordeaux. 91-93 (92 pts.)
  • 1986 Château La Dominique - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Nose is a bit more limited than the 1982; palate is medium bodied, fruit has faded, structure is approachable and slightly drying, fading red fruit; medium finish. Fading, drink up now. 86-88 (88 pts.)
  • 1994 Joseph Phelps Insignia - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Aromatic mature nose with blackcurrant, nice spice, nice complexity; palate is full bodied, plenty of black fruit, fully integrated tannins; medium finish. Nice, fully mature, enjoyable but not necessarily a standout in a great lineup. 92-93
    On retaste 1-2 hours later, classic California Cabernet, ripe but balanced fruit, really nice. (93 pts.)
  • 1996 Clark-Claudon Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Black fruit, slight Brett funk; palate has plenty of black fruit, medium alcohol, balanced; medium finish. Very nice classic California Cabernet. 90 (90 pts.)
  • 1951 Dom Prieuré du Monastir del Camp Rivesaltes - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Rivesaltes
    Slight oxidation, caramel, raisined, slight salinity; palate has medium sweetness, high but balanced alcohol, 17.5% alcohol, raisins, actually quite nicely balanced; medium-long finish. Very nice, reminds me of a good tawny port. 91-92 (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

What a great dinner! Fabulous wines, Jay more than lived up to the hype. Almost makes me want to live in NY. Almost.

That was fun, once Jay came out of his shell.