Decanting outside vs inside?!

Houses are so closed and “efficient” these days, it just goes to show you how much (or little) oxygen is in either environ. Get outside with your decanted wine and it will taste even more different. :slight_smile:

Okay

Imagination is a powerful influence.

Wine drinking and tasting is clearly different outside vs inside. For me, if I have a serious tasting, I would much prefer it to be inside vs outside. I think it has to do with air currents on even a day without much wind.

I think in terms of airing wine we focus far too much on “oxygen” and diffusion, where there is very little action, and not nearly enough on evaporation and expansion into an airspace above the wine. Outside,the airspace above the wine gets replaced dramatically more frequently than inside in a setting where there are no air currents, so wines air far more quickly outside than wines do inside.

I don’t think so, but a fruit fly would kick start VA production, which could give the wine a lift.

I have a wooden ball that sits perfectly in the mouth of one of my decanters for those times we want the decanter on the screen porch. Had a bug end up in wine more than once.

I was reading that first sentence and thinking, “Gee, I finally won a convert”! But then you went astray, I think. I don’t believe air currents will open up a wine more if the opening up is due to evaporation. You’d expect the volatile compounds to disperse into the breeze and there would be less for you to smell.

What I was saying is that a wine in a decanter left outside for an hour or two would potentially be more evolved than a wine left inside in a similar container, primarily because of increased air currents and replacement of the air above the wine in the decanter, just as in the same manner, a wine that has been in a decanter for a couple of hours will have progressed more than a wine that was simply slow-oxed in the bottle.

I’m skeptical that more volatile compounds will emerge with more air flow. I think their concentration is low enough to begin with that they aren’t exactly saturating the air in the decanter.

This is going to be my slow-ox method from here out. [whistle.gif]

If it is a serious wine, I would only open, decant and serve inside.