Decanter cleaning suggestions?

People worry about detergent residue. I’ve never really detected a problem with that in my case.

On stemware, my friend Claude Kolm insists on handwashing with clorine bleach. The bleach has some cleaning power and it sterilizes, and it completely evaporates. The only problem is that you need to put on old clothes that you don’t mind getting bleach spots on!

I can’t imagine using bleach. I would be worried about TCA related issues. I’m also one that recognizes dish washing detergent in stemware often. I use the liquid stuff to get the more stuck on things on my stems also. I haven’t had to clean a decanter yet but I the oxiclean and denture cleaner sound promising.

That’s what I’m going to use on my teeths after B.Fest II
[winner.gif]

wine tasting events are like drinking purple paint even if you spit, a brillo pad or somethin’ is in order afterward [wink.gif]

Can you actually taste it?

I notice it on the nose. A real strong mineral type of smell but not in a pleasant way. Tends to overwhelm any other aroma until you rinse the glass very thoroughly. Hand wash is the only way to go to me.

Hmmm. I don’t detect anything, but maybe you are more sensitive. I put the glasses at an angle so that all the rinse water drains out–but maybe that was also true for the ones you’re talking about. I suppose it could depend on the detergent (or even the glass) as well. I just use Cascade, nothing else, and IIRC the stems are ordinary glass.

PBW
http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/16018/103306/Cleaner_-_PBW_4_lbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all of the great replies and suggestions, everyone!

Think I will give the denture cleaner a shot.

I use hydrogen peroxide and a drop or two of dishwashing liquid soap. Let sit for several hours and it’s like new.

On a side note, Hydrogen peroxide and a laundry detergent or carpet cleaning solution will get wine stains out of carpet, clothes and just about anything else as well. Love this solution!

This is a helpful thread, and I put it on our Twitter account to give it some additional exposure.

I use 50/50 white vinegar and warm water and then let it sit overnight. Rice or some abrasive if really bad. Tends to do the job for me.

I’m wondering now about WineAway. Hmmm . . . .

Drop of bleach in the decanter full of water. Then plenty of rinsing, and of course, seasoning the decanter with wine before decanting the wine into it (as T-Bone suggests).

I’ve been working on this issue. Tried a mild acid etch with vinegar, but this doesn’t do much.

So on to bleach. The potential for TCA is a concern (this is why wineries do not use bleach), but it seems there’s some safe amateur chemistry one can utilize. After using diluted bleach, then soak with dilute hydrogen peroxide. The sodium perchlorate and hydrogen peroxide react to produce table salt, water and oxygen gas. No danger here, and you get some nice fizz!

Of course I will be anal and rinse repeatedly afterward. The other advantage, aside from eliminating risk of TCA, is H2O2 is also a bleaching agent. So if you soak with hydrogen peroxide after using bleach, you will also get some bleaching action assuming you added enough H2O2.

Decanter beads have been a godsend since I started using them a month or so ago. Small metallic pellets that etch the deposits right off as you swirl without being too abrasive to the glass.

You might consider trying rubbing alcohol and coarse sea salt. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the alcohol, and a couple of tablespoons of the coarse sea salt, then just swish it around for a bit.

Lye soak overnight followed by citric acid did wonders to my decanters. You can buy everything on Amazon Prime. Will never mess with anything else again.