De Negoce offer (Part 2)

So why not go for the 23 347’s +1 Blackbird (relocation fees included). In California where I live, the /btl price is a stupid great deal of just over $9/bottle. Thank You Cameron.

And I’m gonna throw some those SB’s to my youngest daughter who is just getting into drinking wine, lucky for me, she does not have dad’s keys for the wine cellar,

2 Likes

spread the love…

4 Likes

This is one reason why I’m ok sitting on the long term DN stuff. When my kids start drinking in 10 years, the cellar will be defended and they will be exposed to some high quality variety.

2 Likes

My kids, quit booze. My wife drinks Tisdale Pinot Grigio.
As for the basement full of dN, it’s all up to me. Yummy & Yikes! :yum::wine_glass:

5 Likes

Ughh Cam trying to lure me back with the $120 for $25
Lot 357 | 2021 Moon Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

@Cameron_Hughes - How does the 357 stack up against lot 120? The 120 is still tightly wound up so i am curious how much time this will take to develop.

2 Likes

Good to see that after the 2020 Napa/Sonoma drought of of red options from dN bc of the fires, we may see some 2021 options….im sure I’ll google this later but does anyone know how good the 2021 growing season was? Is it predicted to be a high quality vintage (as much as those can be predicted)

So, once its through 6-months in the bottle you’ll find it to be a more approachable style for a variety of reasons…the 120 is from the top of the elevation range for the appellation, IIRC double what 357 vineyard elevation. The 357 is medium plus toast wood vs the medium grain of 120 so that softens the palate too. Also, I’ve tasted quite a few 2021’s to date (insanely priced, have you)and I don’t think the vintage will be as tightly wound as 2018.

2 Likes

its an excellent vintage. Pretty much perfect weather…there will be variations regionally as there always is but by-and-in-large, yeields were down and clusters were full of smaller berries due to drought…lots of concentration there but corresponding tannins too. As I said before, the tannins are really ripe in 2021 so I don’t expect the powerhouse tannins of 2018

2 Likes

I’m very tempted by Lot 357, but unsure if I can commit before Berserker Day :rofl:

I’d guess it’s M00n H0llow Cabernet (see what I did there for CH) because of the location. They make 2,000 total cases.

Listing the hints for others to guess:

• Consulting Winemaker (Check, Mark Herold)
  • Made in a Oakville Custom Crush (unsure, but likely)
  • South and East of Monte Rosso and Kamen (Moon Hollow is the only one you could say was east)
  • 800 ft elevation (couldn’t tell)
  • Vineyard sold last Year (Montecillo was sold, but is North and 1,700ft, no news on Moon Hollow sale)
  • 15% alc (m0on h0llow 2019 is 15.5%, most moon mountains are 13.9-14.8%)
  • 60% new french oak (couldn’t find for MH)
  • $125 ($120 for MH 2019)

I’m sure I’m missing a couple, but that’s my guess. I think only thing that doesn’t fit fairly close is the vineyard sale. Happy to take down or remove the name if Cam would prefer.

1 Like

This is awesome stuff, thanks @Mark_B1.

2 Likes

HI Mark - I appreciate the latitude but you guys are free to conjecture all you want. For the most part, I neither confirm nor deny and leave it at that…nobody ever gets close anyhow.

3 Likes

Thanks Cameron. I just would never want a guess or website link to annoy a seller, cost you a relationship, and cost us some great juice :grinning:

Ultimately, I wish I knew some of the wineries from my favorite Denegoce wines because I would go visit and buy from them also!

I appreciate you reaching out and asking. I agree, a lot of the wineries would likely benefit but, you know, maintaining the image (and more often than not, illusion) of scarcity is a full time occupation. I should know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

PS- Will you call Ordaz and try to make a deal? I’d heard a rumor that they were thinking of selling. Met Chuy at Salt and Stone a few years ago, and have been meaning to go pick some more up.

2 Likes

I got a little sidetracked and think I figured out dN’s custom crush facility, but thought it best not to start working on who blends there…

1 Like

Is it Napa Wine Co (Ghost Block)? I spent a few minutes down that road, but couldn’t find more than 2 clients of theirs. Do share, this is fun.

1 Like

I think it’s Bin to Bottle

I didn’t get close with the Barolo? :wink:

General question for Napa/Sonoma (and other high end regions). When a winery is sold, are most people after the brand (name) or the land (and the infrastructure). After a sale like this, does the whole branding change to fit the vision (and ego) of the new buyer (unless it’s something ridiculously recognizable like “stags leap” or “Caymus”)
In this case it makes sense that the vision may not align with launching a whole new wine sub name as it likely takes a few yrs for a certain line to develop a following but at the same time it seems like they would like the have some stuff in the pipeline to sell? Or they want a clean slate? Even if that means no wine sold for a few yrs.

1 Like