De Negoce offer (Part 1)

Krupp?

I’m in. I will prob pause after this one though or I will end up with way too much wine.

That always throws me through a loop and makes me wonder who is marking this up too much. But it sounds like some Berserkers have done business with this gent before and think highly of him, so that’s a decent rec in my opinion.

Yes, I’d have no interest if the people on this website weren’t so bullish on the proprietor.

Just bought the Stagecoach. How can you not.

Just go to Cellartracker and look up Cameron Hughes

Great article…if you have chrome hold escape when it loads and you can break paywall.

1 Like

Easy choice… in for a case.

I ordered both so far. I surmise from the review article that there are going to be 6 offers that are likely coming out. I may have to pause after this one, or at a minimum find a few friends locally I can start splitting cases with. 6 cases is a lot of wine!

But as someone else said, I may never buy another bottle of >$20 wine again (ok, maybe just not as much)

1 Like

Email today says they’ll charge for storage if shipping conditions aren’t ideal. That is interesting. I haven’t seen how much storage will cost.

Well, that solves that. Just tried to buy the latest Cab Franc offering and they won’t ship to my state. Oh well.

1 Like

15.5%abv is a deal killer for me. If that shit ain’t coming from Portugal, that’s too high a number to be considered proper wine.

Exactly my thought Corey…I find these days that one of the first things I look for in a description of a wine is the % alc…I really want to try one of these de Negoce offers, because the deals are almost too good to be true, but once I saw the 15.5% alc I passed. I passed on the Stagecoach Cab a week ago for the same reason (I think that wine was like 15.2%?). I’m sure they are fine wines, just lately I am looking for more balance and lower alcohol in my wines…

1 Like

I passed as well. If am buying a case of wine it better check all my must have boxes.

Krupp Bros?

1 Like

Can you expound a bit on the thought process there? It doesn’t seem all that out of bounds for Cabernet from Napa … or really anywhere with a warm climate and ripe fruit. What really bothers me about a high ABV is if the wine tastes hot. If the alcohol is well integrated and the wine tastes balanced, why does it matter if it’s 13.5 or 15?

How do we know it is balanced? This is all declassified wine for some reason and balance could certainly be one issue why it wasn’t used. There is just an exponentially greater chance it’s going to be an issue for every .1% over 15 I’d think.

I think eventually the model is going to run into issues. How many full cases of the same untasted wine can one person buy and store over the summer? I’d probably be a buyer for a couple of bottles per if they let you build a case.

Sure, as Robert said, it’s impossible to know that this wine is balanced. But even if we assume that it is balanced, the fruit has to be quite ripe to achieve 15.5%abv levels. Most likely 15.5% is going to be a bigger wine. I tend to prefer wines that are lower alcohol and more lithe. Pus, higher alcohol wines tend to have a negative effect on me the morning after. Given the available evidence, I’m just not interesting in buying 12 bottles of a wine with no notes, even if the price is tempting. YMMV.

How exactly do you know it is declassified?

I’ve had many <13% ABV wines, many from darlings of the IPOB cultists, that were unquestionably unbalanced. So there’s that.

Ok, the listed description is “bulk” wine. I’m not sure what is implied by the quotes. Go ahead and keep hoping it’s Screaming Eagle or xyz cult and they just made way too much and now want to sell it for $5 a bottle.

Whether bulk or declassified it certainly doesn’t mean the wine is flawed though. I’ve had a lot of CH wines and I can’t remember any of them being flawed. Some were nice, many to most were priced about right though imo. I can’t ever remember not liking one because it was under ripe though :slight_smile:

A mystery and a bargain, it’s always tempting.