Dartmouth College Bans Most Napa Wine from Campus

Of course, I was there in the 70’s. All I remember was a whole lot of beer, and some hard stuff, and–well–some other stuff. Of course, having no memory may not be saying much from that period of time.

Poor kids, no ripe vintage Chateauneuf, Right Bank Bordeaux, Barolo and many other European wines for them either.

Not to be Debby Downer in the thread, but I read the related article in the WSJ this morning. Some of the statistics they presented regarding alcohol related deaths, sexual assault and percentage of students who have experienced alcohol induced amnesia were eye opening.

I don’t believe prohibition is the answer, but spirits are probably the single contributing factor in these deaths and amnesia due to rapid rise in BAC. I’m not a Dr., but I recall reading somewhere that you can reach a BAC of .3% slowly and be fine. It’s the rate of rise that causes death and amnesia, so that the school is targeting hard liquor specifically makes sense. 30 proof is a weird bar though. I don’t even think flavoring liquors come in that low.

Sexual Assault on campus is a completely separate issue.

I’d bet those stats correlate pretty well with the increased obsession kids have with Fireball these days… [drinkers.gif]

Jody,
Can’t speak for students now days. When I was in college most of what we drank was beer as it was cheaper and we were broke. We did have hard alcohol but there was typically far less than beer and most of it was used for mixed drinks. And it didn’t matter what one drank, people got trashed just the same. Ever try a “second-story” beer bong? That’s a whole lot of beer coming down the tube and straight into your stomach in a matter of seconds. Not that I would know or anything. [whistle.gif]

Fireballs and second story beer bongs will definitely get you there pretty quick too. I had totally forgotten the beer bong factor - I blame the alcohol induced amnesia.

We mostly drank beer, but Everclear was pretty cheap (and dangerous too), not that I would know anything about that either :wink:

Whipits anyone? Crazy kids hitting the 2003 Clos Mimi Syrah Shell Creek …

Ah for the good old days in Ann Arbor in the late 60s and early 70s, when alcohol was just so gauche, and I don’t mean that we focused on Right Bank Bordeaux.

what about wines at labeled at 14.8-14.9? they should probably spend students’ tuition to test these and see if they in fact are properly labeled at not over the 15% threshold.

As long as MD20/20 is still allowed.