Danica Patrick's Somnium Wines

To make it to the highest level of her profession, become a global celebrity, earn millions of dollars, start her own winery…

Some people on here were probably still living with their Mom until age 45, and their only redeeming quality is that they can spot the difference between pinot grigio and chenin blanc in a blind taste test. Lots of haters out there…

She had real potential as a racer. Bobby Rahal recognized it. He brought her back to the U.S. and got her a good seat in Atlantics. Unfortunately, despite the call for American talent in Indy Cars, Jon Fogarty (son of Thomas Fogarty of Thomas Fogarty Winery) had just spent a whole year trying to land a ride after winning the Atlantics championship dominantly. So, he came back to Atlantics and dominated. The typical results that year were Fogarty, Ryan Dalziel (running what turned out to be an illegal car all year!) then rookie Patrick. Without those two, she’d surely be champion.

(Fogarty went to sports cars and won many series championships in ALMS and Daytona Prototypes. Definitely could have been a multi-time Indy Car champ.)

Rahal-Letterman is a second-tier team that has good and bad years. The year before she joined was a good one, then Penske and Ganassi were dominant again with fellow second-tier Andretti Racing doing well. Her veteran first rate teammate also suffered. She got frustrated and moved to 4 driver team Andretti just in time for a slump there. Bad coaching at a critical time didn’t help. She had the same problems and level of results there as Marco Andretti, who is the level of driver she is. Second-tier, capable of wins now and then. Very long shot at ever getting a championship, but some at that level get one. That’s the middle tier. She was better than many in the field, and better than a couple in better seats than she had. (I pointed that out in an online debate on the sort-of industry forum, and the guy I cited got fired a few days later.)

The crazy hype was from the Indy Racing League. They were the underdog series during the Indy Car split. They drew attention to themselves spewing all sorts of BS that she was the best driver in the series and would clearly be winning lots of championships. Not exactly something the other drivers appreciated. (I thought a more accurate portrayal of how good the competition was and how she could roll with them would’ve been better.) Unseemly.

She got lured into doing a couple photospreads. They were awful. Hack photographers who would’ve failed my local community college photo classes. Many were offended she showed some skin. I was offended the talentless hacks had jobs. She was clearly uncomfortable. Bad wardrobe, awkward posing, poorly shot. Compare that FHM and Sports Illustrated garbage to shoots she did for commercial spreads, like with Argent. Polar opposite.

NASCAR. More competition, much more money, much lower chance at winning.

There are so many celebrity wineries. Like most, I doubt she has the sort of experience where she’s really guiding anything. I’d guess it’s just another vanity project for a celebrity with money, where the ego is massaged and they get to play “The Decider” in some token ways. I wouldn’t go betting it’s a sustainable business model, but who knows…

Aaron Pott is a badass and makes great wines for a number of people including somnium and his own pott wines. He has been mentored by some of the best and has mentored himself some very talented winemakers. Cost aside, I Would never shy from anything he touches.

Haven’t had the opportunity to try the wines but as far as “celebrity” wines, I have been very pleased with the wines from Red Stitch, (Richie Aurelia/Dave Roberts), Jack, (Chris Iannetta/Vernon Wells) and Double Back by Drew Bledsoe. All have winemakers and vineyards with pedigree. I’d like to try the wine.

Haven’t had the opportunity to try the wines but as far as “celebrity” wines, I have been very pleased with the wines from Red Stitch, (Richie Aurelia/Dave Roberts), Jack, (Chris Iannetta/Vernon Wells) and Double Back by Drew Bledsoe. All have winemakers and vineyards with pedigree. I’d like to try the wine.

I laughed. Well done.

-af

I have nothing against Danica Patrick, or the idea of women competing in car racing (I have no idea why more of them don’t, really). From what little I’ve observed, I like her.

But it does seem as though she got money and attention very far in excess of her performance on the track, and while I don’t begrudge her that, it doesn’t make her much of a victim either.

And yes, I’m money when it comes to picking pinot grigio and chenin blanc in blind tasting. Bring it on.

I am generally about “Suckling -8” so yes, if the only review I saw was Suckling’s and it was 90 there is 0% chance I would buy it. I am no Suckling fan, but his ratings are always way over the top, so in the absence of another review or reccomendation I wouldn’t buy at $25 let alone $185. This does not take anything away from the extraordinary accomplishments she has achieved in her professional career.

Saw in recent Napa report from WS that Laube gave the 2016 a 92. Not too shabby.

Wines like this are why people hate Napa. Just saying.

Sorta true, isn’t it.

Am sure true for many. if i was asked “what i wish was different” in napa, i doubt “wines like these” would make my list

Answer: sponsors. Corporate execs in charge of these decisions are chickenshit sexist twits.

There is one segment of racing when the chickenshit barrier was broken: drag racing. Shirley Muldowney persevered loads of sexist crap in the '70s, winning her first championship in '77. In the decades since, many women have won many national championships in the various top classes.

The more normal story is Desire Wilson won a non-points Formula One race in 1980 (Brands Hatch), then still couldn’t get sponsorship.

Lyn St. James was racing at the start of my involvement. The only sponsors she could get were for products marketed for women, despite women making the majority of purchase decisions for so many non-tampon products.

Bobby Rahal sort of broke that dim-witted barrier, by convincing his existing primary sponsor Argent to back Patrick. Worked great for them.

A little more context for her Indy Car talent and that of women, there were a couple years we had 4 women drivers in the Indy 500. Of them, I put her as number four. (As an aside, probably number three as a road racer.) Can you name the others? Imo, one was capable of winning a championship in the right seat in the right year, the way Rahal did twice. I’d put her on par with Graham Rahal. The other was a probably multi-time champion I put on par with Simon Pagenaud.

How many new producer, $185 wines do you buy?

We did a tasting at the vineyard this summer (Howell Mountain). We thought the cab was OK, not great, but bought some. I’m guessing Aaron will make it better over time.

I’ve had it.

Beautiful color, lovely long legs, beautiful nose, great mouthfeel, full bodied…wait for it…disappointing finish.

While her vineyard is on Howell Mountain, it’s not quite high enough to use the Howell Mountain appellation. According to the Somnium website the vineyard tops out at 1375 feet and the AVA’s minimum elevation is 1400 feet.

Michael -

I dont buy any, which is why it wouldn’t make my list

Yup, that’s why I like to focus my wine buying on wines produced by those with multi-generational wealth. And, of course, wines produced by corporate conglomerates, as well!

[rofl.gif]