Daily drinkers: clean winemaking style but savory flavors

Well the 1999 was clean too [cheers.gif]

Try pelaverga

I find Ramey’s Syrahs to be very savory (and clean).

My dog can be clean too…doesn’t mean he doesn’t have some funkiness!

If I was suggesting ‘clean+savory’ red Rhones to OP, I think I’d stick with stainless tank raised ones, or maybe a concrete vatted one like the Charvin CdR mentioned above.

Issue I’d think is that those are less likely to be fine wines that WB are most interested in.

+1 for Jura, which is still pretty under the radar but definitely fits the description you gave (the reds that is - the whites made in the oxidative style are an acquired taste).

In addition to these, Domaine du Pelican is the new-ish project from d’Angerville and has some of the former Jacques Puffeney vineyards.

Mercury from Domaine des Moirots or Juillot
Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne
Jouan Bourgogne
Ridge Three Valley, Geyserville and Lytton Springs
Chateau Pradeaux Bandol
Mastroberardino Taurasi
Produttori Barbaresco
Alcesti Nero d’Avolo
Baudry Chinon

I agree with you that these are two really enjoyable wines (and amazing QPR) but as Daily Drinkers (as per the OP), he’ll need to get old vintages or keep in the cellar quite a while. Based on my experiences, they need a few years!

So do Baudry and Produttori. But, these are fabulous wines for the price. I don’t like young wines nearly as much as wines with age, even on Tuesday nights. No time like the present to start aging great QRPs.

Faury St. Joseph regular bottling is a killer QPR in my opinion. It can age a bit, but is great young as well. The VV bottling needs some more time usually.

It sounds like you might also be looking for pop and pour wines, not ones you have to decant hours ahead or anything. Ans wines that don’t need years off age.

I don’t mean to put words into your mouth, so can you confirm I’m on the right track here?

I think some Etna wines, like Ochippinti Frappato, Passopisciaro, Terre Nere and Calabretta, would serve well.

Maybe look towards more modern styles in the old world Northern Rhône.

Vincent Paris
Des Pierres Seches
Voge
Ect.

Rousset makes a very clean and pure Crozes which is cheap too.

Loring Pinot, particularly the Cooper Jaxon.

The only one I’m familiar with here is Tissot, and the wines are nowhere near clean.

Calabretta is super bretty, and I wouldn’t call Ochippinti clean either, even now that she uses more SO2.

never had a problem with brett in a tissot red. the pinot en barberon is a dead ringer for burgundy. reduction can be present in varying degrees but is dependent upon vintage and grape variety.

either way, i suppose it still is not entirely clear what the op means by clean.

When I think of savory, I think of vegetables (rather than fruit). First thing that comes to mind is Chinon. Looks like Howard did mention it, so I’ll give it a second. It’s the first thing I reach for when I’m eating pizza.

Some bottles of the 1999 were clean. Others, not so much. Cayron has been quite variable over the years.

p.s. Josh - Wind Gap no longer exists.

Yeah, I love Occhipinti’s wines and really like Calabretta as well, but neither is particularly “clean” in my opinion. I’d like them a lot less if they were. Calabretta is definitely not in the “clean” category. Loads of funk. SP68 can show a good deal of funk as well. Gulfi’s Neros are very good and I find them to be less funky. The exception might be the entry level Rossojbleo.

I also don’t find Occhipinti “clean”, I’m not sure the cause but they are Certainly interesting and I do enjoy them on occasion.

Antinori Toscana, easy to find and always good. Dark and savory. $15
Bodegas Ateca Calatayud Atteca Old Vines. Another mass produced, easy to find Spanish wine, Grenache based. $15. Dark, herbs de Provence, pepper.