Daily drinker challenge under $25

Perbacco

Marietta Old Vine Red.

I haven’t had it in a while, largely because I live in the NYC area and have access to lots of tempting low production choices in this price range. But if I were shopping in a supermarket, and it was there, it likely would be my first choice.

I think you need to broaden your criteria: if you are in NYS, there are no grocery stores that sell wine, likewise in PA where you need to buy wine at State liquor outlets. I’m sure there are other states and commonwealths like these in other parts of the US.

I think the concept of ‘grocery store wine’ isn’t that it literally can only be purchased in a grocery store - it’s that its widely available, large production, vintage insensitive, reliable etc.

Haven’t had them recently, but once upon a time Mondavi’s Napa level bottlings would have fit the requirements.

^
This.

For most of the country, “grocery store wine” explains the concept perfectly and is a convenient shorthand. Those of us in places like NYS, for whom this literally means “local mass market wine store”, can figure it out. Plus, it’s worth pointing out that for many wine stores like Stew Leonards and Wegman’s, the distinction is only a technical one.

These will certainly not meet the, “Stuck in a small town with limited options” criteria, but they could potentially meet the, “something special for a non-wine person (and are fairly available)” criteria:

Donnhoff Riesling Trocken
JJ Prum/Fritz Haag/zinDr.Loosen QBAs and Kabinett Rieslings.
Ridge Three Valleys (maybe you can find the single vineyard sites, but they might be over 30)
Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso (Nerello Mascalese)
Clos Floridene Blanc (White Bordeaux)
Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir (basic Santa Barbara bottling)
Qupe (Syrahs, Marsanne, Chardonnay). The Marsanne can age too.
Produtorri del Barbaresco Basic Barbareseco or Langhe Nebbiolo.
Trimbach’s basic riesling? (I haven’t had it in a long time).
Fevre Chablis (village level).
Frogs Leap Zinfandel
Felsina Chianti Classico

Perhaps for the more adventurous:
Lustau Los Arcos Amontillado (very available)
Valdespino Inocente Fino
R. Lopez de Heretia Cubillo Rioja (red), Gravonia (white).
Baumard basic Savennieres

I’ll second the mentioning of Vietti Perbacco and Pepiere Muscadet. Does anyone know how the Cote-du-Rhones of Guigal/Jaboulet/Chateau St.Cosme are? Because I see these all over the place and they are usually <$20.

Forgot to add the Vietti Barberas

I like the H3 suggestion but would say Rutherford Ranch is better for a few dollars more.

Snoqualmie Riesling is less than $10 and always a crowd pleaser, and at $15-ish there’s Heinz Eiffel if you can find it.

Washington state does provide a lot of drinkable reds and white in large voleme production (Columbia, Snoqualmie, Columbia Crest, Chateau St Michelle). L’Ecole 41 Semillon and the Chenin Blanc were fairly pleasant.

Spanish Rioja, Yecla/Jumilla/etc, Catalyud, Cava, Sherry/Jerez, Vino Verde, and even the Viños de Madrid region offer pleasant high-production wines. I recall the Rene Barbier Mediterranean Red being drinkable and under $5.00/btl.

South Africa’s Fairview/“Goats do Roam” and Meerlust, along with one I cannot remember, are good values.

New Zealand: Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc, Spy Valley Pinot Noir (is it <$25/btl?), Villa Maria Riesling and Sauv Blanc, etc. Oyster Bay’s Merlot was once OK.

France has killer values all over the place: Touraine, Muscadet, Beaujolais, some Alsatian whites, Perrin’s “La Vieille Ferme”, Nicolas Perrin’s less expensive bottlings, Chateau Mont Redon and Perrin’s Côtes du Rhône, Chateau l’Oupia “Les Heretiques”, and a few I cannot remember off-hand.

Greece has always blown me away with the Boutari Naoussa reds for earthy, funky, great wines, as well as the Boutari Merlot-Xinomavro. I have limited experience with the whites of Greece, sadly.

Italy: I am so out of date on the Italians that somebody else will surely provide better choices than my grocery store recommendation for Fontana Candida Frascati or Bolla Valpolicella and Bardolino. :neutral_face:

California can be tricky, as all countries for that matter. The Chenin Blanc whites from Beringer and Sutter Home were like very light pear juice. Montevina Barbera, Renwood bargain reds, some Fetzer reds, Bogle non-Chardonnay whites were decent, if memory serves. Everyone has probably already named the Shebang! and Marietta Old Vine Red wines.

I will add more as my brain jogs into effect…Happy Hunting!!!

I’m in Pueblo West Colorado visiting the in-laws for 4th of July (don’t be jealous) so I’m doing what I can to find decent wine.

Among a few other things, drinking a bottle of Marietta Old Vine 62. I mean…it would be pretty damn hard to find a better QPR. For $13, this delivers a ton of freaking pleasure. Smooth mouthfeel, fresh/clean blue fruits and medium plus body with a nice finish. Punches way, WAY above its weight class.

Tried the Marietta OV and wasn’t impressed. Different strokes I guess.

I want to thank everybody who has participated in this exercise so far. There have been some excellent recommendations so far. It’s always interesting to find out what people like to drink in this genre. Marietta old vines gets a lot of love (and for good reason!) but I’m always on the look out for good values. Thanks again everyone.

Like you said, different strokes…but this is a $13 wine. $13. And I’d be shocked if this didn’t win every time I’m a blind tasting of $30 and under wines.

And again…it’s $13 freaking dollars.

I get it - and that’s exactly what I say about Snoqualmie. I’d rather spend $15 on Renault’s Burgundy though.

You’re probably right - I’m sure every single person on this board has “the most amazing $15 bottle ever” and it all depends on their personal preferences. I drink little/no burgundy, and I’m sure I would feel the same about that Renault as you did about the Marietta.

Like you said- different strokes when it comes to wine for sure…and that’s one of the reasons why I love and hate this board. Love = i hear/learn more about wines that I’d never try otherwise. Hate = You A-Holes make me spend way too much $$$$ :slight_smile:

Muga Rioja rose for me this summer $14 and change.

When looking for lower costs bottles I think “grocery store wine” is perhaps the worst choice.
Some really good bottles I have had under $25 I bought at a discount:

Provenance cab (I rarely drink cab)

Carr SB county Syrah

Lomabardelli Barbera D’Asti

Selvapiana chianti rufina

Vina Robles Petite Sirah (about $16 at Costco)

Tres Picos Garnacha around $13 can be found pretty easily.

Which Total Wine has Chappellet Mountain Cuvée for $25?

Or the Murrieta Reserva for $20.

On the white side, the Cherrier & de la Perriere Sancerres, both ~$20, are widely available and reliably good.

Seconding the Joel Gott 815 and H3, Saviah The Jack in its usual permutations is usually pretty good as well. Syncline Subduction is available pretty widely in WA at least and is a nice departure from Cab/Merlot as a ~$20 daily.