Custom and Advice--Champagne and Loire Domaine Visits

I would recommend the car at CDG mostly because it’s a gorgeous drive through the Marne valley. But, there is a rental car place right next to the TGV stop in Reims if you want to do the train.

Based on my wife and I’s experiences, pick up car at CDG. If you have an early flight arriving to CDG you can even make a 4pm champagne tasting if you’re up for it. The roads are super easy to get around, 90 minutes to Reims, 20 more for Epernay. I used google maps on my phone and have been all over many countries with little directional issues. ATT charges $10/day on their international plan with my unlimited data from USA.

One trick I use is to use google maps street view and look at where you will be driving and arriving too, even look at some of the bigger intersections just to familiarize yourself with them. It really helps at some of the champagne houses as the signage is minuscule or non existent at some (Jean Milan and Bereche to name a few) along with perimeter walls and gates everywhere.

Timeliness is appreciated. 2 or 3 visits a day is fine (10am, noon lunch, 2pm, and 4pm depending on proximity of tastings) Print out the address and phone numbers to each place before you leave the states so if for some reason you need it, you’ll have it and can ask for directions or call if you’re late.

As far as speaking English or French, my wife and I don’t speak much French. There are some tastings that google translate helped immensely. Once you get the basic 100 words down for the champagne region (you know at lease half of them since it seems you drink a lot of bubbles), you can piece together what people are saying. As far as in depth conversations that’s where it gets tough quickly.

Thanks for the additional posts and comments–these are helpful and appreciated.

I’ll be locking in the car now thanks to the advice and the next step is figuring out where to sleep, so that is in the works. Technically I guess this would be off topic for Wine Talk but if you want to post places to lodge, go for it. I have several I am sifting by way of the domaines that gave them to me already.

Frank- on our Loire trip we did one winery and one chateau each day, which was as good pace for my group: YMMV. Had reservations at Baudry and Huet, stopped at
Chidaine’s La Cave Insolite without a reservation (but if you are particularly passionate about those wines, you probably want to arrange for a more personal, extended visit). We stayed at Manoir du Parc in Amboise- quiet, welcoming, off the main road.

I had to make the decision today to skip Mattheiu and Baudry. I simply can’t fit it all in and make heading west to Tours and Loire work. We’re gonna go all 5 days in Champagne and leave it all on the table there. This also means we have to skip Chidaine. [cry.gif]

This is spot on

Just saw this thread Frank.

My wife and I spent 10 days in Champagne a few years back and had an unbelievable experience. We do not speak French and did not have any issues. The champagnes spoke for themselves. We visited 2-3 houses daily and even in the smaller, non English speaking ones, we were able to get by. We just brought good energy and a smile and received like and kind.

Great idea to do gifs. Learn how to travel the roads so you can make appointments on time. Remember the road signs show the final destination although where you are going may be prior to. Use GPS. We even traveled to destinations early to explore the local scene and then arrive on time. Do make dinner reservations ahead.

Theres so much more to say. Id be willing to spend some time on the phone to discuss detailed info re any and all. Please call if desired.

Blake, you’re a kind soul, thanks for the offer. Actually, the itinerary is all set now, and we’re wrapping up the dinner spots, too. My wife, who doesn’t dig going all bonkers with wine talk and discussion 24/7 is stepping up and giving me 5 days for Champagne. It’s fortunate that she digs the stuff.

Stev-o, will do a night at Les Crayeres for dinner. As for the lodging, it’s just not in me to lay out 700E to stay per night there. Dude, that’s Montage coin.

Definitely stop by Ruinart.

[quote=“Frank Murray III”]Blake, you’re a kind soul, thanks for the offer. Actually, the itinerary is all set now, and we’re wrapping up the dinner spots, too. My wife, who doesn’t dig going all bonkers with wine talk and discussion 24/7 is stepping up and giving me 5 days for Champagne. It’s fortunate that she digs the stuff.

Perfect Frank. Have a fabulous trip. I`ll look forward to hearing the details.

Wow what a great restaurant tip - my wife and I just finished a four course lunch at Moulin Fleurie. We thought the food was was very good and of course the wine list has plenty of aged bottles for very fair prices. The chef/owner greeted us and steered us towards older vintages that he thought were drinking well (I don’t know much about older Loire vintages). We ultimately chose a 1981 Bourgueil from Lame-Delille Boucard that was drank very well.