Cultivating Morel Mushrooms

Anyone should be able to grow morels with a kit like the one I purchased from here:

Based on my success, it just takes some diligence to create the right conditions. I followed the directions as closely as I could, just improvising a bit to tweak the soil pH.

I think other desirable fungi are much harder to cultivate. A few weeks ago I tossed into the compost bed some mature porcini pieces I had collected from the local forest. From everything I have read, the chance of that bearing fruit is highly unlikely.

Bill-any truth the comment about shrooms and fires (as in banner seasons after)? If so. Light that pile on fire for the porcini. Then throw some in

Chris: I’ve heard the same thing. My soil is on the alkaline side. Charcoal tends to be alkaline also. I have been trying to make the soil a little more acidic, which clearly has been positive for morel cultivation. You’ve got me thinking about porcini. Next time I go hunting for porcini, I’ll bring back a soil sample for analysis to see what kind of conditions are needed. However, it is my understanding that porcini have defied cultivation. I’d be better off trying to cultivate truffles, which have had some limited commercial success. The elusive Santa Fe red truffle sounds like an interesting quest.

Figure it out and you can retire all over again

I am amazed. Congratulations!!

George

Tempura: